EB066-00-1 GSM Connection Problems

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Benj
Matrix Staff

EB066-00-1 GSM Connection Problems

Post by Benj »

Hello,

We have discovered a problem with the EB066 GSM E-block when using SIM cards running on the 900MHz band i.e. O2 and Vodaphone networks in the UK.

Here is a world map showing the GSM wireless bands that are active in your area.
http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

In the UK Orange and Tmobile run on the higher network band and are compatible with the EB066 GSM board.

For reference, here is a complete list of providers around the world and their associated GSM band.
http://www.mobileisgood.com/serviceProv ... ology_id=1

We aim to solve this issue for the next revision of the EB066 GSM board.

Sparkoids

Re: EB066-00-1 GSM Connection Problems

Post by Sparkoids »

Hi Ben,

Would that explain why an O2 Prepay sim I have never connects to the network?

I thought it was me and had almost given up with the blasted board...

lmk

James :-}

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi James,

Yes that would explain it, sorry about that. Get a pay as you go Orange SIM and you should be laughing.

Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

Maybe FC5 does work with this board after all!

I'll get the sim tomorrow and give it a crack....

Thanks Ben as always....

Anoble

GSM-EB066 problem

Post by Anoble »

I am currently using the EB066 gsm e block along with other eblocks (eb006, switches, LEDs, keypad & LCD). I aim to eventually write my own c code to send and receive text messages.

Firstly I wish to establish communication between the gsm module and the microcontroller (PIC16F877A) using the UART serial port from portC (EB006) of any kind to prove they can communicate as in transmit and receive.

I have download the test file GSM.hex to the board and setup appropriately. I can run though the program to the point the LCD says 'message sent' and phone number and message are displayed correctly on the LCD.

No message appears on the phone I send the message to. I have attached a scope to the tx pin of portC and can see the serial data coming out. My questions are;
Does the GSM module EB066 support A 3G pay and go sim at 2100MHz?
Is my problem to do with the onboard antenna?

the status LED doesn't flash at all with test program, but flashes every sec with my attempted c code

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Here is the current test file we are using here.
GSM_Test.fcf
(27.83 KiB) Downloaded 1100 times
GSM_Test.hex
(5.83 KiB) Downloaded 880 times
We have had very good results with the 1800 band using the Orange network.

The problem is not related to the antenna as we are using the exact same antenna on the v2 board and this works great. The problem is to do with the specific voltages and currents available to the module as part of the E-blocks system. I can confirm we have fully solved the issue for the v2 boards which will be released around the start of next year.

Anoble

Post by Anoble »

Just to clarify. My problem is likely to be because I am using 3G sim cards at 2100mhz and not 2G?

I have been using a t mobile 3G and a 3 3G.

I will try the new test files with theses sim cards first but I doubt this will work.

Im using the board for a university project this year so I won't be able to use the new board.
sourcing a 2G sim may be difficult so I would like to check there is nothing else I should check first before I conclude it is the 3G sims that are the issue?

Jay Dee

Post by Jay Dee »

Hi Guys,
Just running the test files with the GSM board, my board is marked as an EB066-00-2 2013 vintage, as such will this now work with the 900MHz providers or do I still need to Pick up an Orange/T-Mobile pay as you go?

We are in a kind of weak mobile area and have yet been able to purchase a suitable alternative SIM...so just wondering if my issues could be the Service provider frequency or if I need to attach an antenna.
The test program seem to run and i get the 'message sent' text but no message is received and there is no blinking LED...so I don't think we are connected to a GSM network.

Has anyone tried an external antenna with good results?
Thanks for any pointers,
J.

Jay Dee

Post by Jay Dee »

Hi,
Connecting an ECIO 40P to GSM board ver 2
I've been reading through other posts and have a handle on most bits but.... I've got SIMs for T-Mobile, Vodaphone and O2, will be testing with the T-Mobile but we're in a weak signal area so also have a quad band antenna arriving.
just to make sure I'm connecting things up correctly..

Rx
Tx
These must be connected to relevant pins.

Startup
Reset
These only need to be connected if you wish to reset the board after the initial power up? If required the pins should be toggled as described in the EB066 datasheet.

RTS
CTS
The are only used when the Bluetooth features are used.

Ring
Status
Connection is not essential but gives feedback on systems status ?

So for a very simple test only Rx, Tx + Power are needed?
I would appreciate if someone could confirm I'm on the correct track here... thanks J.