PIC to ARM upgrade on E-blocks

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

wardnica

PIC to ARM upgrade on E-blocks

Post by wardnica »

I have a 40 pin PIC ECIO and the E-Blocks application board, but the program I'm making is too heavy to run properly on the PIC processor. So I was thinking I might be able to upgrade to the ARM ECIO microcontoller... Am I able to use the same application board of the PIC microcontroller to run the ARM processor? Are the other E-blocks such as the GPS, LCD, Keypad,... compatible to work with this ARM processor?
Thanks in advance.

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: PIC to ARM upgrade on E-blocks

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi
The 40 PIN PIC eCIO and the ARM ECIO both work with the ECIO base board (EB 061).
You must remember that although they will both work with the normal matrix power supply, the ARM processer uses 3.3 V.
The VDD terminal on the EB061 is set to provide 3.3V or 5V automatically by the type ECIO in use.

The ARM ECIO is not compatible with some e-blocks,
You will need to consult the data sheets to see if the ones you need can be used at 3.3 V.
Some of the more advanced eblocks have a 5V/3.3V jumper.
Most important, if you select 3.3V and use with the ARM device, make sure you reset to 5V position before using with a PIC device

GPS has a jumper so can be used with either
Keypad can be used generically with any device , and so can the LCD.

You will need the Profession ARM version of Flowcode if you need to use the GPS component, the free version only has the basic components.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !