Using PICs for other projects, EB 006

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

NevadaJack

Using PICs for other projects, EB 006

Post by NevadaJack »

I got an Eblocks set while working my way through college and was very interested in building items with Flowcode. I wanted to know if I could use the PICs that were programmed on my EB 006 on other projects, for example built on proto boards. I wasn't sure if the Flowcode, PPP software added any special code during the compile cycle that was specific to EBlocks.

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Using PICs for other projects, EB 006

Post by kersing »

PICs programmed on EB006 do not contain any special code and can be used on other boards without any problem.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

If you want to reprogram devices on-board your own hardware, breadboards etc then I would advise a PICkit programmer and creating a standard Microchip ICSP header. The EB006 can be used to re-program via a ICSP connection but you will need to make your own custom cable as documented here.

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/support ... ?f=2&t=586

NevadaJack

Post by NevadaJack »

Thanks for the quick reply. It has been a while since I used my Eblocks set and although I was really comfortable with FlowCode and had even gotten a decent grasp of basic Assembly Language I am having a problem finding my notes on programming PICs.

What I would like to do is program the PIC with something simple, say lighting an led or pulsing a signal that could be read on a multimeter. Then move it to a breadboard and verify I am doing it correctly. I am building an LED light cube and have a scrap of code to work with but I think it would be easier to troubleshoot potential problems with a smaller bit of code first.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a simple test code or test procedure I could use to verify I am doing things right? I will be working with a 16f690 PIC if that helps.

Thanks again for your insight! :roll:

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

What may be a better idea is if you post a flowchart of how you would flash and led,
Then we can correct your Flowchart and give you tips and advice.
You can read help by following my signature.

A good idea is to visit the learning centre:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/lc_index.php
There you find a free Flowcode and electronics courses.
Example flowcharts. Videos etc.

Well worth a visit.

Martin
Martin

Creative25

Post by Creative25 »

Hi
I never used any e block,
Always made my own hardware and programmed it with pic kit2.
In the beginnign it was a bit a steep learning curve. Because I am also a beginner in making circuit boards, sometimes I did not know if it was a software or a hardware problem.
I prefer to program my chips in circuit. It gets tiring to remove the chip each time you do some changes to your code.

Best Regards:
Uli