FlowKit Question

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

FlowKit Question

Post by QMESAR »

Hi All

I after working with EB006V9 a while ,I would like to move on with my project to my custom board and are interested in getting a FlowKit,after reading the datasheet there are a few point unclear to me and
would appreciate any help

(1) In one section it mention you need to program you device with your programmer and then use FlowKit for debugging ,on the flow kit itself is an switch that says ICD -Program
what is the real situation can the flowkit program a PIC and dsPIC or only debug.?

(2) The scope pins on the flowkit are they active can they read an Analog or digital signal on a Micro pin as in the case of the EB006V9 ?

(3) Can I use the Flowkit to debug my ECIO40p16 which I program over the Matrix boot loader

@Ben you mentioned that early this year you will release a new ICD programmer board for dsPIC is this still in line and how will this effect me if i buy the Flowkit now and then the new board is released or will flow code still be the unit to use for custom boards and the EB board for hooking up E-blocks ,I am asking because I have no problems spending money on Tool however to duplicate then i also do not like .

I appreciate any feedback .
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 5796 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: FlowKit Question

Post by Benj »

Hello,
(1) In one section it mention you need to program you device with your programmer and then use FlowKit for debugging ,on the flow kit itself is an switch that says ICD -Program
what is the real situation can the flowkit program a PIC and dsPIC or only debug.?
The Flowkit is a debugger only. The function of the USB out and Prog / ICD switch is to allow simple debugging and reprogramming of Matrix hardware such as the Formula Flowcode, MIAC, Locktronics PIC etc without having to keep plugging and unplugging cables. Switch to program mode and the USB connection is passed straight through for re-programming. Switch to ICD mode and the USB connection is piped to the chip on the FlowKit and the ICD pins are then connected to the slave MIAC/ECIO etc by utilising the second USB connection.
(2) The scope pins on the flowkit are they active can they read an Analog or digital signal on a Micro pin as in the case of the EB006V9 ?
We are currently working on a Flowkit v2 with Ghost functionality, at the moment the Flowkit can only do ICD within Flowcode. We did create a standalone VB application which should be lurking on the forums somewhere which works to give you two analogue traces and 6 digital from the Flowkit but this was never very useful due to large limitations in the application.
(3) Can I use the Flowkit to debug my ECIO40p16 which I program over the Matrix boot loader
Yes,
@Ben you mentioned that early this year you will release a new ICD programmer board for dsPIC is this still in line and how will this effect me if i buy the Flowkit now and then the new board is released or will flow code still be the unit to use for custom boards and the EB board for hooking up E-blocks ,I am asking because I have no problems spending money on Tool however to duplicate then i also do not like .
We have an EB091 due to be released very soon which has the same chip as used on the dsPIC ECIO and comes with full ghost support (ICD, ICT) and 6 E-blocks ports. This is now in production and we expect to have stock shortly.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

We are currently working on a Flowkit v2 with Ghost functionality, at the moment the Flowkit can only do ICD within Flowcode. .
I suppose the Flowkit V2 will be new hardware design and will not be the simple case of just upgrading the current Flowkit firmware to V2 status if I have an Flowkit 1

I actualy need the ability to debug my application and hardware in the field on the custom hardware where the Flowlit would be ideal however I do not want to by V1 now and 6 months later buy V2 if you understand my problem at the moment.
The EB board are nice for building a first proto - type and test on the bench and works great but once you move to custom hardware on the application itself then the EB boards are not ideal any longer and the Flowkit is more the thing as in the case of and ICD3 /ICD2 or Realice from microchip ,looking forward to the release of the EB091

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi All
From the Matrix news page it seems that you have released the EB091
However searching your web does not return any results or information that a person can check if you would like to buy one or not :D

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

I think the target release date for this board is currently the 1st of April. We are making these boards in house and are waiting on stock to arrive so we can begin the build process.

This was meant to happen for Jan the 1st but deadlines got pushed back due to various internal issues.

Please can you point me to the news page that advertises the board, would be nice to see what's going on here.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi Ben

Thank you for the information.
I saw this in the 2015 catalogue from here on page 75
http://www.matrixtsl.com/resources/file ... alogue.pdf
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (79.62 KiB) Viewed 5708 times