EB069

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Jan Lichtenbelt

EB069

Post by Jan Lichtenbelt »

I'm not very used to the WIFI subject. But as far as I know there are 2 methods to make contact between two boards. One is the well know possibility to use an IP adress and password. The other method is to get the connection between the two board just by pushing a knob for about 3 seconds. The IP adress are exchanged automatically.

My question is: Can this method of automaically detection of IP adress be performed with the EB069 boards?

with kind regards

Jan Lichtenbelt

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: EB069

Post by kersing »

Jan,

I think the three second button press method you are referring to is for Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), the easy way to add a device to a wireless network, not to obtain IP addresses. The IP address is supplied by the DHCP server after a connection to the wireless network has been established. Looking at the documentation of the WiFi module used on the EB069 I do not see any reference to WPS being available.

Best regards,

Jac
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Jan Lichtenbelt

Perhaps this can be a possible extention in future fow this EB069 board.

Kind regards

Jan Lichtenbelt

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

I hadn't even seen the WPS before, thanks for making me aware of it. Maybe time to purchase a new Wifi router.

The EB069 is likely going to move from the expensive Wiznet module to something more affordable and up to date such as the ESP8266 however I don't think that will support the WPS either.

I'm hoping it's just a firmware thing though so we can make Wifi easier to initially setup. My main grumble with Wifi at the moment is you either have to host your own embedded network and connect devices to that (annoying if you keep having to switch network) or you have to provide a keyboard and screen to allow the user to select their network and provide the security key (expensive and none straight forward for the user).

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Ben,

Be aware the are security issues with WPS. Details here.
ESP with WPS should be possible, the API provides it, don't know if it's available in the AT commands.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Jan Lichtenbelt

Hi Ben and Jac,

Be aware that I want to use this only to control my model train. There is no safety issue. It is only choosing for a diffent frequency like 2.4 GHz or even 5.8 GHz instead of 433 MHz. The protocol can be someting like RS232 or anything else.

With kind regards

Jan lichtenbelt

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Jan,

The nRF24L01 modules are 2.4GHz but not Wifi based so maybe these could be an option. I have had a quick go with them and have a few to play with. I've not got them working just yet but they are meant to be very good.

Bluetooth may be another option using the HC-06 modules or similar.