Question about sensors

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

shardul

Question about sensors

Post by shardul »

Hello, i have been going trough the sensors, distance measuring sensors to be specific.
I came across EBM020 Infrared Distance Sensor Module, which will be fit for my application of distance measurement.

What are the dimesnions of the package?
Also, is this sensor comlatible with ARDUINO UNO controller?

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Question about sensors

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Can you say what kind of distances you will be measuring and how accurate you need the readings to be?

The IR distance sensor should work fine but the ultrasonic distance sensor may also be of interest.

Yes the sensors will work fine with an Arduino.

The dimensions are approx 26mm x 36mm with 2.54mm pitch connection headers.

shardul

Post by shardul »

Distance of a metal plate is to be measured from the sensor. In normal conditions it will be 60-80mm from sensor. It can go as far as 120 mm (still maximum range of 100mm is okay) from the sensor and come as close as 10 mm from sensor. These distance variations are to be monitored continuously and communicated with ARDUINO UNO....

Quite good resolution is required for the sensor. Not more than 3mm.
How much accurate the IR sensor can be?

I checked out ultrasonic sensor too. But it cannot detect distances smaller than 30mm, as i found in the specifications. Else it would have been my first choice.

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hi

The EBM020 Infrared Distance Sensor Module would be best for this use.
It will work very well over the distance you mention.
For that kind of accuracy you will need to calibrate the readings.
That is, for any given module, take sample readings at various distances and store them, then use them to calculate the variable distance,
for example by using linear interpolation.
The distance is determined from the relative intensity of the returned light.
So another factor to take into consideration is that you might not get consistent reflection from the metal plate,
for example, if it does not stay perpendicular to the sensor as it moves, is that possible?

Hope that helps.
Leigh

shardul

Post by shardul »

Thank you.
That was really helpful.
It gave me good clarity about how i will use this sensor.

Basically there are two parellel plates, and sensor will be mounted on one of the plates. The distance of other plate from the sensor will be found out continuously.

But both plates remain parellel to each other during entire operation. Their orientation with respect to each other will not change. Only the distance between these two plates will change, which is to be measured.

The range of the sensor which we are discussing is 10mm - 100mm, isn't it?

So, if there is a case, that distance between the two plates goes higher than 100 mm (say 120 mm), will the sensor still give readings?

What exactly happen in this case?

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

It is difficult to say what the limit would be, due to other factors such as background lighting.
The light measured at the receiver will not be linear with distance so resolution is not predictable either,
also repeat-ability might be an issue for resolution. You will need to trial the process.

If the objects are fixed, apart from their distance, maybe you could use two sensors,
as beam breakers or reflectors from a couple of marked strips or toothed belts, as a quadrature encoder?