BL0170 Bluetooth - Problems with Windows and Android

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

jlangbridge

BL0170 Bluetooth - Problems with Windows and Android

Post by jlangbridge »

Hi everyone,

I've received my BL0170 and I'm having fun. However, I did come across a little problem.

When using my iPhone (using BLE Scanner) I can connect to my device, connect to the corresponding service, and then send data to the characteristic. My FlowCode app (using a BL0080) displays the string I received to a BL0114 (it's Christmas here!). Then I can send again, and again, and it works.

When using Windows (this time using BLEConsole) I can connect, connect to the service, send to the characteristic and it works. If I try and send again, there is a timeout, and a reset. It seems to be a one time only connection.

When using Android (BLE Scanner again) I can't even connect, it refuses the connection.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I'm using default settings for the time being, but I'll probably delve deeper into the datasheet tomorrow.

Thanks!

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: BL0170 Bluetooth - Problems with Windows and Android

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Out of interest how are you powering the E-blocks boards? If it's just via USB then the USB cable you are using may not be rated for enough current. If you have a DC supply handy then this may help to provide the current required by the Bluetooth board. I've not personally seen this with Bluetooth but I have seen it with the WIFI board which may be similar. Using a proper micro USB charging and data cable it works fine without the PSU.

jlangbridge

Post by jlangbridge »

Hi Benj,

Thanks for your reply! The board is powered by a micro-USB cable that I've used for other development boards, and I've also changed boards (I have a few now). I've disconnected the BL0114 board, same result. I've now powered the system with a bench PSU. Still the same. I think we can eliminate power concerns.

Right now, I'm debugging with a USB USART. I can see connection information coming from the module when I connect with iOS, and I can also see something coming from Windows, but they aren't the same. iOS has a %SESSION_OPEN% info, Windows doesn't. Still nothing on Android, no message, and no connection (one fairly old tablet, and one modern telephone). Do you know how to read the current firmware value? And is there an easy way to update the firmware? I might not have the latest version on my board...

jlangbridge

Post by jlangbridge »

Adding to my previous post. The firmware delivered on the board is 1.00, dating back from 2015. Current firmware available seems to be 1.13, I'll try updating to see, but I've gone and ordered some RN4678s, and I'll see how the updated version works.