IRDA

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

ZONK

IRDA

Post by ZONK »

How far can these units transmit utilising the lower layer of irda protocols?
I understand that when using the mcp2150 part of the EB 012 configured for higher level of irda protocols, only 1 Metre communication can be achieved to enable PDA, Mobile phone type devices.
But when utilising the MCP2120 part of E-block the Specs dont say how far you can TX or RX using these E-Blocks.
I want to transmit RS232 9600 baud rate protcols via IR over several metre distance using PIc16f88 a max232 chip and some sort of Infrared interface. and receiver unit.
I understand that most ir remote TX is usually around 38kz and somehow the IR is modulated by the 9600 baud rate
Thanks in anticipation

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hello ZONK,

I think in practice we have got around 2 metres range using the 2120 on this E-Block, but it's difficult to give an exact figure. A lot depends on the ambient light conditions.

I don't think you'd be able to get more than 5 metres out of it, though. Ir is not used over a very long range.

I seem to remember that there is a resistor on our board which limits the current used by the Ir transceiver. You might be able to get a larger range by reducing this resistor if you were desparate.