"Could not ID the Onboard Chip"

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Tom7227

"Could not ID the Onboard Chip"

Post by Tom7227 »

Hello all,

I am just starting to learn PIC controllers and purchased a HP488 trainer.

When I attempt to configuire the device, I get "Could not ID the Onboard Chip" during the setup in ASM-IDE

The LED scroll on the bottem of the device continuously. I do have some communication with the system, I get the Firmware V7 and can do some autoconfiguire, (the green LED starts flashing during the setup).

What I am doing wrong?

Tom

Tom7227

No replies :(

Post by Tom7227 »

Sent several Emails to support about this. (brand New unit) Got no replies. Was disappointing that I heard nothing.

Ended up sending the entire unit back.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Try downloading the latest version of PPP from the website at

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/softwar ... _11_24.zip

This should hopefully fix the problem.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hello Tom,

Our office was closed between Xmas and New Year, which is why you did not receive any replies to your emails.

mstewart99

Post by mstewart99 »

I am having the same problems and I am using the latest version of PPP V 3.8.1.24

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

These are a few issues where the chip is not recognosed:

* chip is broken
* chip is the wrong way around
* more than 1 chip is in the "slave" sockets
* external hardware interfering with programming circuitry
* ICD2/USB jumper is not in the "USB" setting
* if using an external power supply, PSU/USB jumper is not in the PSU setting

These are a few issues when trying to program a chip using LVP (i.e. when you are powering it via the USB port or are using a power supply value less than 12V):

* appropriate "LVP PROG SELECTION" jumper is not applied
* chip has previously been programmed with a 13V power supply and had its LVP config bit turned off
* other jumpers are not in the correct place (they should both be in the "USB" position)

One more possible problem relates to a very specific set of circumstances (PIC has previously been programmed with internal osc and internal mclr, and the programmer is in the XTAL position). To solve this, set the programmer to the RC setting and try sending the program again.

Hopefully this should help. If you're still having a problem, please contact our tech support email (support@...) with details of power supply, jumper settings and chip used.

mstewart99

Post by mstewart99 »

Thanks for the pointers.

I found that switching the LVP jumper from IO to LVP has resulted in the PPP software now recognising the chip. It would appear that this jumper also enabled the USB communication.

Mike

tgartlan
Flowcode V4 User

PPP Chip seems faulty

Post by tgartlan »

Hi
On a related issue, I cannot now program the PIC on my EB006 multiprogrammer board. Since I have a few boards, I was able to deduce the problem lies with the PPP chip itself (that is the one on the EB006 board).
My questions is this
Do I have to buy a new PPP chip or is it the case that the program in the PPP chip has been erased, in which case can I reporgam it?
Tommy

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

This is quite a rare occurence, but has been known to happen occasionally. We normally send out a replacement chip in this situation. I will email you now with instructions.

pbosmans

Post by pbosmans »

I've tesame troubles. I builded the inchworm icd2 clone and got always these warning message when i want to connect to the target on the EB-006 via the ICD connector.
Now, i've pull the target out of the EB-006 and make an own socket with only the necessary connections (MCLR,PGC,PGD and power supplies). This work perfect (no messages).
Inchworm recommand a resistor of 10K to 100K on de MCLR pin to the Vcc. (I don't know why)
When i connect a 10K resistor, i've got tesame troubles. When i connect a 100K resistor, everything works perfect.
I see you are using a 10K resistor on your EB-006 board, can this maybe create the problem ?

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

The Dev board and EB006 Multiprogrammers ICD socket is designed for use with the Microchip ICD2. There is no problems when using the ICD2. The Inchworm must do something different which either boosts the current going to the MCLR or decreases the current going to the VCC pin.

Anyway the point is that if the current going to the MCLR is higher then the current going to the VCC pin there will be unprodictable results.

I have made circuitry in the past the either just connects the MCLR straight to VCC or via a 1K resistor and both seemed to work well. If you cannot figure out what the Inchworm is doing to cause this problem then it is not too much effort to desolder the MCLR resistor and add your own. It is surface mount so you have to be fairly careful but with a steady hand, a pair of tweezers and a hot iron it should be no problem.