ICD of EB006-v7 is not working

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

fotios

ICD of EB006-v7 is not working

Post by fotios »

Hi
Before few days i received the EB006-00-7 for replacement of FlowKit. Thanks a lot for the accommodation and the gifts included, you are very kind. I tried a simple flowcode project, 8 push button switches to light momentarilly 8 corresponding LEDs and the LCD board to indicate each time e.g. "Switch On : 1" , "LED On : 1" and so on. The programmer section of EB006 it works just fine from the begining, without troubles either in WinXP OS, or in WinXP x64 OS. I tried the project with success in different PICs, like 16F877, 16F877A, 16F887 and 18F4520. The last two i tried as well with their own internal oscillator (removing the corresponding J18-J19 in A6&7 place) with success. Unfortunatelly i had not the same luck with the EB006 in ICD mode. I followed exactly the instructions of ICD manual. I have checked carefully everything. First i make the appropriate settings in the "Chip-->Configuration expert panel" and then i press the "Autodetect PIC micro" button so as the communication is confirmed. After this, i open the "View-->Project Options" menu, where i check again that the PIC settings are correct and then i tick the ICD box. Finally i open the "Chip" menu and i click on the "Compile to Chip". After this the ICD compiling proccess of PIC it starts in the same way like in Programming mode. I can see as well that the on EB006 board LED1 it blinks. All "Return Codes" are "= 0" after the completion of compiling. Now it is time for the ICD operation. When i press the "RUN" arrow, imediatelly it pop-ups an error window "ICD has failed to communicate with the target" and "Make sure the target is powered correctly, then reset it and try again". I follow the instruction, and then i try again the ICD. The same error window pop-ups again, and then i make click on the "YES" button for "Do you want more information?". Then a second window pop-ups with the information. I attach a picture of this window. Because the problem it really persists (as it says the message) i came accross the website and forums enough times without find any topic to help me. Thus, i decided to open a new topic to ask your help.
Thanks in advance.
Fotios Anagnostou
Attachments
FLOWCODE_ERROR.jpg
FLOWCODE_ERROR.jpg (15.86 KiB) Viewed 8558 times
Best Regards FOTIS ANAGNOSTOU

fotios

Re: ICD of EB006-v7 is not working

Post by fotios »

To help you, i may refer that the version of PPP used it is the "v3.11.15.30". As well that the PPP launched by alone (not thru the Flowcode) can read the program memory of the PIC which is compiled previously thru the ICD mode, and that there are indeed data writen in program memory.
The mains adaptor that i use, it has a DC output of 15V (not regulated, only rectified and smoothed) at 750mA.
The J12-J13-J14 jumper is placed at USB side. The LVP selection jumper it remains as is shipped, in left side "I/O Ports". The SW2 is in XTAL position.
The ports that i use for the hardware, are: 1)Port D for the LEDs board 2)Port C for the switches board and 3)Port B for the LCD board. Of course, the RB6 and RB7 pins are free from the LCD board EB005, but i tried to release completelly the port B by removing the LCD board to Port A and i had the same error: no communication between ICD and target.
I attach as well two pictures of the settings that i did in a PIC16F887.
Attachments
FLOWCODE OPTIONS.jpg
FLOWCODE OPTIONS.jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 8553 times
PPP CONFIG.jpg
PPP CONFIG.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 8553 times

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Ok, here are 2 things to try:

In the config screen, disable the "background debug" feature.

If this does not work, try increasing the "communications speed" in the project options screen to 20.

fotios

Post by fotios »

Thanks Steve!
With the first modification that you propose, i.e. to disable the "background debug" feature in Configuration window, the ICD function of EB006 is working. Now i am just fine and happy (at least with my Flowcode v4-EB006 v7 multiprogrammer :lol:)
The increase of communications speed, does not offer nothing. The default value it is just fine. I will try and other modifications in Configuration screen, to find out what else can make the ICD not working.
I have a last question: I can run the ICD simulation, only by using the "Step Into" and "Step Over" functions of software in conjuction with the hardware, i.e. i must press the "F8" key to move the green rectangle arround the flowchart steps, and to press simultaneously e.g. the Switch 1 on the hardware board to light the LED 1 as well in the hardware board. If i press the RUN button, then the green rectangle does not appears, and the two "Call Stack" and "Variables" windows are "Unavailable" although the hardware it remains fully operational. As well, the virtual components on the Flowcode panel (LED array, Switches, LCD etc) are inactive in either case during ICD mode. Is this normal? Or simply i am confused between the difference of "Simulation" and "Debugging"? In the last case i can perceive by some way the proccess of the real time ICD function offered by EB006-v7 and Flowcode v4.
Thanks again for the help.
Fotios

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

This sounds normal. In ICD mode, the program always runs "as fast as possible" and the debugging windows are unavailable. And the Panel items should also not work (the real items should be working instead!).

tello

Post by tello »

Hi, my EB006-V7 ICD does not work, I have reviewed all options and can not find the fault.
16f877A my chip is the ICD runs directly on a microcontroller mounted on the plate EB006?
I can not make it work.
Could anyone help??
Thank you very much.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi tello,
It could be just down to your flowchart settings?
Can you post your flowchart and provide more details and perhaps back up with screen shot showing the issue.
Is the issue a communications error, not showing correct values when you single step?

If you just hit F8 what happens?
Red component outline change to green
Just an error message?
Martin

tello

Post by tello »

Good afternoon and thank you for your answer medelec35.
These are the screenshots and the project. I searched the error but can not find anything.
Attachments
ICD_PRU_2.JPG
(210.77 KiB) Downloaded 2434 times
ICD_PRU_1.JPG
(213.1 KiB) Downloaded 2434 times
ICD_PRUEBA.fcf
(5.5 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi tello,
Your flowchart is set up ok:
ICD1.png
(69.21 KiB) Downloaded 4926 times
So it could be an issue with your hardware.
For example make sure J12,J13 & J14 are on USB side and not ICD2
Sw2 should be on Xtal and J18 & J19 on OSC and not A6 & A7.
I would assume you have only got one chip in its socket otherwise there would be an error when you first sent program to your target device.

The only thing I can think of is make a 1 second flasher within a continuous loop with ICD disabled.
If that works then enable ICD and resend to your target device. single step to see if ICD works, then take it from there.

Martin
Martin

tello

Post by tello »

Hello again, I checked all options are correct.
When I connect the EB006 board for the first time by the simple program with LED flash, the ICD is working properly.
When a program more complicated by the ICD does not communicate with the EB006 error off picture.
I do not know how to continue.
This is the program you want to debug.

Thanks for your help, greetings
Attachments
GPRESS_V0.fcf
(96.02 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
icd_fail_1.JPG
(208.98 KiB) Downloaded 2387 times