EB006 board. Onboard ship issues.

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

o.fithcheallaigh

EB006 board. Onboard ship issues.

Post by o.fithcheallaigh »

Hello,

I am hoping someone can maybe give me a hand with a problem.

I got the EB006 programming board over the weeked. I loaded the software etc. but whenever I connect everything up, and I try to Autodetect the chip, I am getting a message that tells me the it cannot detect the onboard chip.

I am assuming that there is communication between the board and the PC (Windows 7 by the way), because it will detect the version of the board I am using.

I took the board into one of the computer techs in uni, thinking he could help because we use these boards in class. but still no joy, he was as confused as me.

Any advice or hints would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Seán
Fuair siad bás ar son saoirse na hÉireann.

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: EB006 board. Onboard ship issues.

Post by medelec35 »

Hiya Seán.
First of all although this may not apply to you (you can tell if drivers are installed correctly by looking in device manager, in Custom USB Devices you should see 'Matrix PICmicro Programmer'
If not then I have wrote a step by step tutorial, assuming this is first time of installing device drivers with windows 7.

TUTORIAL:
When you plug programmer in for the first time you will get a message
saying 'Device driver software was not successfully installed.
So in effect no drivers was found. This is windows 7 for you :P
What do is have your drivers ready, can be found here:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/eblock_ ... .php#EB006
Unzip contents to a folder on your PC.
Click on Computer, then in computer window, click on System properties,
Click on Device Manger. If you open select 'Other devices'
You will see a funny symbol that looks like S and b
Right click on the Sb and select Update Driver Software.
A new window will open. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Make sure you have 'Include subfolders' ticked.
Then click browse, and manually locate the folder you extracted the drivers to.
Select next, then you should get a message Installing driver software. Another window will appear
saying Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software.
Just select Install this driver software anyway.
After a little while (if successful) window will change to 'Windows has successfully updated your driver software'
You should also see for the first time 'Matrix PICmicro Programmer'
Now you should be able to use programmer OK.
Instead of other devices, Matrix PICmicro Programmer should appear in Custom USB Devices in Device manager.

If EB006 is installed OK
Make sure you have at least 12-14V DC plugged in or wires from PSU to +14V and GND.
Next to power terminals there is a 3 terminal jumper. make sure its on PSU side and not USB.
In front of terminal block is another 3 terminal jumper. Make sure USB is selected and not ICD2
It has been known for any external connections to RB6 and RB7 to prevent auto detection and programming. This does not happen much, but still is a possibility
Also make sure you only have one device at a time plugged in. I made that mistake once, have two devices plugged in... Shhh don't tell any one else :P :lol:
If still not detecting after reading this, then let us know please.
One question are you using the default 16F88, or have you plugged in your own chip. If so which one?
Martin

o.fithcheallaigh

Hello!

Thats fantastic, thanks a lot.

I will give that a go, and let you know how it works out, althought it may be tomorrow evening before I can give it a go.

Seán

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Your welcome. Hope it you get it sorted.
Martin

o.fithcheallaigh

Re: EB006 board. Onboard chip issues.

Hello,

Still no joy.

Whenever I hook up my board, I don't get a request for drivers etc., but everything seems to be installed correctly anyway.

Checked all the jumpers etc., and they are fine. But still cannot detect the onboard chip.

But if I change the version of the board, it jumps back to Version 2 board, so I am assuming there is some communication.

As for the chip, there is only one on the board, and it is the PIC16F88 that came with the board.

Seán

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: EB006 board. Onboard chip issues.

Post by medelec35 »

o.fithcheallaigh wrote:
But if I change the version of the board, it jumps back to Version 2 board, so I am assuming there is some communication.
With no other Matrix products except programmer connected, Have you tried right clicking in Device manage on Matrix PICmicro Programmer in Custom USB Devices and update driver software?

Also could you test programmer is OK by connecting it to a different machine in college which already had same programmer connected?

To me it still sounds like either a driver issue, esp if you had an older version connected previously?
Or it could be the programmer settings in 'Chip' menu compiler settings. Are they correct?

If you are still stuck then perhaps some else can give you different advice to what I have posted.
Martin

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

It might be worth unplugging the three way jumpers J29 and J12-J14 and reseating them in their position. We have had a couple of problems where the jumpers are not making contact correctly and this is stopping autodetection and programming from working. If you have a multimeter then you can go under the board and make sure that the pins are connected together as they should be. This is a rare and temporary problem at worst and we have taken steps to make it even less of a problem in later boards.

o.fithcheallaigh

Hello,

Sorry for the lateness of the reply! Been busy in uni.

I will try reseating the jumpers whenI get home, thanks :)

Seán

Bgraham

Post by Bgraham »

Ok, I am using PPPV3 and trying to program at 18F2321. The Programmer does not "autodetect" the chip which is on the board. I have the lasted drivers. My Systems sees the programer and I can send files to but the chip will not program. Also the programming will erase the chip, or read the chip. I have four diffrent programmers that all do the same thing.

What is my next step.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

I've just searched on the forum for that chip and found this post, which should help:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 431#p16221

Bgraham

Post by Bgraham »

Steve

I try thr pin 7 to 5v, no go, but the message I am getting is program failed <1, 3>
What does this mean?

Also the EB006-7 saw the 2321 but not the 06 version, is there an update?

thanks

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,
I try thr pin 7 to 5v, no go, but the message I am getting is program failed <1, 3>
What does this mean?
It means that part 1 and 3 of the programming process failed. Im guessing this is the flash and maybe the configuration programming.
Also the EB006-7 saw the 2321 but not the 06 version, is there an update?
The chip should work fine on both versions of the board using the mod that Steve detailed in his last post.

If its not working correctly for you then it may be worth making sure you are running the latest version of PPP.

Are you programming from Flowcode and if so then which version?

Bgraham

Post by Bgraham »

Steve

Well i Got the programmer to work. I place 5V at pin 7 and it worked!

Thanks

Bill

Bgraham

Post by Bgraham »

Ok

I got the programmer to see the 18F2331 and was able to down load to the chip, but the program does not seem to be running. Is there something else I need to do to set the outputs or is flowcode doing that for me? All I am trying to is turn on a light

Also I changed to a 18F2321 and we are back to the same problem. I did have the 5v at pin 7 but no go on that one.

Maybe you can suggest a chip that will take anlog inputs, digital outputs, as well as contol two motors with PWM.
We are builting a mobile robot for our summer class, which starts in 3 weeks.

The robot will have two on/off lever switches (bumpers), one Infrared board input (object detection), two motors and a power on light.

Thank
Bill

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hi Bill,

I would suspect that the configuration word settings you are using are the issue, but there are a whole host of reasons why a program may not be working. This is a great post to give you suggestions on solving problems like this:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... =26&t=6936

Stanga

Post by Stanga »

Bgraham wrote:
Maybe you can suggest a chip that will take anlog inputs, digital outputs, as well as contol two motors with PWM.
We are builting a mobile robot for our summer class, which starts in 3 weeks.

The robot will have two on/off lever switches (bumpers), one Infrared board input (object detection), two motors and a power on light.
Use a PIC16873A and two pieces of BA6418N. The latter is a digital controllable motor driver. I am using this configuration in a remote controlled preamplifier with motorized volume control.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Ben,

This is just to refresh this thread as the solution below has solved a couple of similar issues for me. For me J11, J16 and J17 - just moving them (later reseating properly of course) did the trick.
Benj wrote:Hello,

It might be worth unplugging the three way jumpers J29 and J12-J14 and reseating them in their position. We have had a couple of problems where the jumpers are not making contact correctly and this is stopping autodetection and programming from working. If you have a multimeter then you can go under the board and make sure that the pins are connected together as they should be. This is a rare and temporary problem at worst and we have taken steps to make it even less of a problem in later boards.
Go with the Flow.

hugobola

Post by hugobola »

Hi i`m running win8.1, downloaded the latest PPP driver from website, tried installing it directly from the dpinst_Windows_64.exe file, case1:
https://docs.google.com/a/engenharia.uf ... QyUUE/edit

and case 2, installing driver by device manager:
https://docs.google.com/a/engenharia.uf ... ZhTzg/edit

nothing works, please help,
thanks

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Please refer to this FAQ topic for installing device drivers on Windows 8.

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/support ... f=30&t=803