speech recognition using flowcode

Any general or miscellaneous queries that do not fit into the other forum catagories

Moderators: Benj, Mods

geetansh

speech recognition using flowcode

Post by geetansh »

hi guys
i have gone through some basic projects like blinking leds directly ,blinking leds by taking analog input from potentiometer, a board with lm35 on it to sense temperature and to display it on lcd n my last one was an electronic lock.

now i want to do something serious with speech recognition , i want to start with lights on & off. when i will say "lights on" leds should glow and should go off when i say "lights off"
the problem is i don't know from where to start,i saw speech in mechatronics section but there is no information available on how to use.
so please tell me and give me some links to study and to get started with speech recognition.
thanks

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: speech recognition using flowcode

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Geetansh

Bert van Dam's Flowcode book "Microcontroller Systems Engineering" has a section on simple speech control.(Section 4.14)

The flowchats are copyright so I'm not able to post them here but you can download the programs for all his books from his website.
The project is actually for the 32 bit Arm processor but you should be able to use Flowcodes import function. This should give you some ideas
Though I would expect the 8 bit PIC may only be capable of very simple commands.
Just another thought, the program is for FC4 but you should be able to use it with the FC4 trial version, as I dont think it uses the advanced components.

http://www.vandam.tk/

(Note. It seems to redirect you to the Elektor magazine site to dowload the software package)
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

geetansh

Post by geetansh »

hi sir
i have some problems with this method sir
the concept used here for speech recognition is adding analog inputs from microphone,so the leds in this program will glow even if i say something else whose analog inputs addition will be close to that of words "lights on".
here it is not recognizing the words said , it has nothing to do with words said, it is just that the addition of analog inputs should be closed to the value saved to glow leds.-thats the first problem.
now second one is that is takes input only when a switch is on and if i use this method without using a switch then it will keep sampling the analog inputs everytime n many words said in my room will correspond to a value which will glow leds.

so is there any other way to use speech recognition??
whats the use of speech option in mechatonics option of flowcode?? it can be used for speech recognition or not??
thanks

geetansh

Post by geetansh »

someone please help on above questions.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The Flowcode speech component outputs speech phonemes rather then perform input recognition.

Speech recognition is very complicated and to do it correctly you will probably need at least a dsPIC if not a high powered ARM. There are probably some good example projects online if you do some hunting. Unfortunately it is something we have never really looked into supporting mainly due to the complexity and resources that would be required.