The return Of PICKit2 ...again

Tips, Tricks and methods for programming, learn ways of making your programming life easier, and share your knowledge with others.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

hackinblack

The return Of PICKit2 ...again

Post by hackinblack »

Playing about with a tube of 12F1572 PIC's chosen as a more modern replacement for the 12F675 (and finding PICKit 4 wont work...) i had to juggle from MPLAB IPE to PICKit apps 2 and 3,only to find neither cover these chips. I remembered an updated device file i had...so,as the PICKit3 uses the SAME DEVICE FILE...i replaced both the device files with this one,and now have PICKit's 2 and 3 reading and verifying the 12F1572 and a whole truck-load of other 'Unsupported' parts.The 12F1572 can be found under the new ' Mid-range 1.8v min ii ' category; which it finds automagically! :wink:

new device file:-
PK2DeviceFile.txt
(202.7 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

N.B. :- Rename the file (replace '.txt ' with '.dat ' i had to change it to upload it onto the forum...as the forum software didn't like the '.dat ' extension...
replace the device data file in the ' Program Files\Microchip\PICKIt 2v2 'folder for the PICKit2
and the ' Program Files\Microchip\ PICKit3 3v3 ' folder for the PICKit3; assuming you have installed the last official releases of both 'stand-alone' apps
you now have a programmer capable of programming almost all of the microchip range! Unlike the PICkit 4... :cry:

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: The return Of PICKit2 ...again

Post by medelec35 »

Hi hackinblack,
Thank you for your post.
I have moved it to Tips & Tricks, so its more easier found.

Martin
Martin

Steve001
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Steve001 »

Hi hackinblack,

do you know if this works with an OEM Pickit2 ?

Steve
Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

hackinblack

Post by hackinblack »

In answer to the question 'does this work with an OEM PICKit2 ?' the answer is most definately YES!
i have two,an ancient black-button one and a newer red button version,as well as and a crappy 'sure' clone that won't operate unless you set the VDD voltage to <4.7Volts; all of these and three different PICKit3's work with the souped-up device file.
i've been playing with a12F1572 and both 'kit types work fine (this series aren't even covered by the 'official' dat files!) :D

Steve001
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Steve001 »

Hi hackinblack,

thanks for that, i nearley thew my old pickit2 away last weekend too - thinking i would no longer use it

Steve
Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

hackinblack

Post by hackinblack »

NOOOH! Don't sling it; or if you must,send it to me :lol:
or keep it to re-flash the PICKit 3 when,not if,it bricks it's own firmware during the hokey cokey it performs EVERY time you change chip, IDE, or your pair of socks. and remember you can still use the other firmware versions for the PICKit2 such as the serial analyser,as a useful lab tool.
I only bought the red button version fairly recently; i found a ' like-new ' one on ebay for 20 odd quid, in its packet with another of my favourite (now discontinued 20-pin) Low Pin Count demo boards. I love 'em:- they give you a handy little board with a button,a pot,and four LEDs and a breakout header,as well as a prototype area; they also handle almost any chip with either 8,14,or 20-pins, and don't take up half the desktop like Mikro E's boards do (or lag two years behind in chip support...) add a cheapo ZIF socket (with turned-pin headers soldered on) and they are the ideal 'dinky dev' tool.
I hate the PICKit3 SO much; setting it up takes too long...its a shambolic piece of engineering,so much so that a canadian guy has developed a 16f14xx based programmer that leaves PK3, with its multi-Mhz processor,in the dust. :lol:
And based on my experience, it seems the new PICKit 4 is following in its footsteps...the phrase 'half-baked' springs to mind.