MIAC based temperature controller

For MIAC users to discuss projects, applications, and any other issues related to the MIAC unit.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Enamul

MIAC based temperature controller

Post by Enamul »

Hello,
I am making this thread for Dylan Balloo mainly who is actually a University student doing a course in Electronic and Communication Engineering and planning to do his final year project using the MIAC as micro controller.In fact his project is a temperature based fire alarm. The scenario according to his description is as follows
1. When as temperature of 50 degree Celsius is sensed by a temperature sensor the MIAC activates the alarm, the sprinklers, close the windows to prevent the fire from getting oxygen. I thought The relay output will be used to activate the fire alarm sprinklers and the motor output will be used to demonstrate a motor closing the window. Moreover, the MIAC will have to send a message(SMS) to the owner of the house informing him of the fire in his house and using the GPS module of MIAC send the location of the house.A motion sensor will detect the presence of people inside the room before closing the windows.
2. At 30 degree Celsius the MIAC sends a signal to the relay output to activate the air conditioner system and motion sensor shall be use to detect if there is people present in the room, if yes the air conditioner is activated.
3. At 15 degree Celsius the MIAC sends a signal to the relay output to activate the heater.

He is thinking to buy the temperature sensor from Matrix and he has chosen the Wide range stainless steel temperature probe(HSTMP)http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/product ... PHPSESSID= or thinking to buy the LM355A sensor as temperature sensor,the motion sensor(HSMD) or KC7783R PIR Module, Advanced Expansion Module(MI3486)http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/product ... PHPSESSID= or MIAC - Basic expansion module (MI1493) http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/product ... PHPSESSID=to connect the two sensors, the GSM module for sending the SMS. He wanted to in-cooperate the Zig Bee module but don't know where he can use it.
I am posting my opinion regarding his project plan and I am requesting expert opinions about the idea.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

Enamul

Re: MIAC based temperature controller

Post by Enamul »

First of all, MIAC is a nice selection for this kind of project. MIAC - Basic expansion module (MI1493) will be a great module for sensor interfacing..Relay and Motor can be directly controlled by MIAC with some driving circuitry. The only issue is GSM module for sending SMS..if you don't want to design that as add on module for GSM still not available in MM. But if you want to design add on GSM module we are ready to help..I have recently developed one GSM module connected to central controller via CAN..so it is almost ready for you. I don't feel any necessity of Zigbee..
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Thanks for that Enamul.
That sounds like a very interesting project!
Dylan, as your project develops let us know where you need any specific help.
Also, do you have a time plan for the project? As we expect the GSM modules to be available in January, so we could provide any help prior to then ready for you to include it in your project.
In fact there is already component support ready for it in the current V5.4 release of Flowcode, so you can see how easy it is to incorporate the module in a MIAC System project.
So it could possibly still be an option for you.

Regards,
Leigh

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Thanks LeighM. That sound cool 8) . I guess Dylan should have couple of months for his project. If he can use all these modules that will make a more robust and fault tolerant system. I am looking forward to hear from Dylan to see what he is going start with..
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

DylanBalloo
Flowcode V4 User

Post by DylanBalloo »

First of all, thank you everyone for your interest .I've got up to the of the end of January to complete the whole project.Regarding the GSM module up to what date shall I receive the module, shall I in-cooperate it in the flowcode program and when I get the the Gsm module I just connect it to the MIAC.
Enamul can you please give me a brief description of your GSm module and how it works?
In fact I'm completely new to flowcode software, the only skill that I've got is from the videos tutorial available online. Can you please give me some more tutorial if your have to understand how the module are connected and how to inco-operate the sensors and module in the program.
Can you please give me your ideas of how I can improve the project, what can I add?

THANK YOU again for your precious help.
Regards
Dylan Balloo

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Hi Dylan,
In fact I'm completely new to flowcode software, the only skill that I've got is from the videos tutorial available online.
Let's start your project..It would be better if you take one piece of module and do some R&D with that and post your problem's we will try to solve (don't hesitate to post anything even if you feel that silly). It's the best way to learn. At the same time you can continue the "Introduction to Microcontroller" course in the following link...it's free
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/lc_index.php?p=24
Can you upgrade to FCv5.4 as it seems to me you currently using FCv4.5? It would be better if you can upgrade as add-on modules i guess supports only in FCv5.4.
Can you please give me some more tutorial if your have to understand how the module are connected and how to inco-operate the sensors and module in the program.
About sensors..did you bought MIAC and planning to buy sensors? Because it's better to start work with few things ready with you. Don't feel like that if you bought those and later on if you can't manage to use what will happen..I am assuring you that you will be able to use these modules very easily :)
Enamul can you please give me a brief description of your GSm module and how it works?
As your project deadline is January, it is a bit risky for you to wait for GSM module but MM guys can tell that better..how far they are in the process of making the module. I am telling you the alternative I am using..
as you know MIAC only support external communication via CAN bus so whatever you interface with MIAC that has to be interfaced via CAN bus. I am not using MIAC even though I made one central controller which works like MIAC and other modules can work only with that via CAN bus. One of my slave modules is GPRS module, you can think that as GSM module which will be connected to Miac via CAN bus. GSM module is designed using PIC18f4580 chip which has built-in CAN and I have interfaced E-Block RS232 board (EB015) with it which is connected to any standard serial GSM modem. so your GSM module will deal with sending and receiving text sms from user and it can be sent to MIAC. or Miac can command via CAN bus
to the GSM module to generate SMS.
Can you please give me your ideas of how I can improve the project, what can I add?
I was thinking about RTC which you might be interested to add later on..If you want to add real time in your system..you can easily do that by using Advanced Expansion Module(MI3486) in place of Basic expansion module (MI1493). I suggest you earlier to use MI1493 as that was enough for sensor interfacing but for Sensors and RTC, you can use MI3486 module..it has built-in RTC facility as far I know.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Thanks for your on-going comments and suggestions Enamul.

Just to confirm that the Advanced Expansion Module does have a battery (Coin Cell) backed Real Time Clock, and also with the two sensor sockets this will be the easiest way to interface to the Temperature Probe, and any other Vernier devices.

And some other points Dylan, to help you chose the correct modules for your project...

It does look as though the GSM Module might be too late for you, although using it would be straight forward enough using Flowcode (V5.4), with which code can be quickly created via drag and drop components. The MIAC System modules can be controlled from the MIAC without any need to understand or code the CAN bus.

The Serial Expansion Module has a full RS232 compatible connector, and also the Advanced Expansion Module does also have a UART that can be used to interface to RS232 based devices, such as an external GSM modem, but you would need to construct a level shifter from the TTL level connections of the Advanced Module to the RS232 device. Although that is not too difficult if you use a chip such as the MAX232.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Leigh

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Thanks for the nice informative post.
The Serial Expansion Module has a full RS232 compatible connector, and also the Advanced Expansion Module does also have a UART that can be used to interface to RS232 based devices, such as an external GSM modem
As you know EB015 board can do that level conversion..so my query is: Can we interface EB015 to Advanced Expansion Module's UART? as in that case we can interface modem directly to EB015 and which will be accessible from MIAC.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Yes, very good point Enamul, the EB015 would be ideal to interface to the Advanced Module UART RX/TX

DylanBalloo
Flowcode V4 User

Post by DylanBalloo »

Hello Enamul,
Sorry for the late reply.
I will upgrade my actual flowcode version to Flowcode5. Since the university is sponsoring me to buy the component I require I've got to wait.

I've already got the MIAC, I'm still left to choose between the LM335 abd the wide range satainless steel temperature sensor and for the motions sensor still left to choose between the motion sensor(HSMD) for MM and the PIR module KC778r. What do you think is better?Please give me your opinion?

Thank you for the assurance, I will be greatly relying on your help. I trust you.

Can you please give me much detail about the GPRS module, what type of GPRS module is it?If you have a link where I can find much detail about it I will be grateful. How is the GSM module,RS232 and GSM modem programmed?What is the purpose of the GSM modem?Can you please give me much detail.What type of GSM modem do you recommend me to buy?

From what I could understand
You've got the MIAC, the MIAC is connected to the GSM module via CAN bus,the GSM module is interfaced with the block RS232 wich is in turn interfaced with the GSM modem.
But what is the purpose of the Block RS 232 and GSM modem if the GSM module can send and receives SMS and send it to MIAC?

In fact I will be using the Advanced Expansion Module to connect the temperature probe. What do you mean by real time.How can I use it??
THANK YOU LOADS ENAMUL
Attachments
What I've understand
What I've understand
Untitled.jpg (19.35 KiB) Viewed 24609 times

DylanBalloo
Flowcode V4 User

Post by DylanBalloo »

Hello Leigh,
For the motion detector(HSMD) I will connect it to the advance module, but how is it configured in flowcode..
For the GSM module do you have a fix date when the GSM module will be available, I will try to get some extension.
How are the MIAC module controlled by the MIAC? How is it programmed? Do you have a sample program where the module are used?
What do you mean by level shifter??
Thank you

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

I've already got the MIAC, I'm still left to choose between the LM335 abd the wide range satainless steel temperature sensor and for the motions sensor still left to choose between the motion sensor(HSMD) for MM and the PIR module KC778r. What do you think is better?Please give me your opinion?
That's great..you can start playing with MIAC. I am posting and directing you some of links to play with. I don't see any datasheet in MM site for the temperature sensor..you can MM David or Leigh for specification. The good thing about that sensor is that it is ready to plug in into Advanced Expansion Module..but I have got no technical information except temp range about that sensor. LM335 is a nice temperature sensor but I would recommend you LM35Dz if you are looking for any normal sensor other than MM sensors..I have used thousands of LM35Dz sensors and really good one. Pretty easy to use and outputs directly in Celsius scale.
Same is true for Motion sensor(HSMD) as no technical sheet there and I can't say anything..PM David would be good to know about that..after that we can decide is that possible to interface with Advance Expansion Module..looking at the webpage info it seems to me a nice one but will not be possible to interface with advance expansion module. About PIR modules..I bought couple of these low cost PIR modules and works fine..very easy to use and interface to MIAC or PIC. Actually those module don't need ADC, just one I/O pin is enough to detect motion sense.
About GSM module...
If you can extend one month and MM can sale at the beginning of January..in that case we don't need to think it any more. We can simply use MM GSM module. But if don't get extension and MM can't make that in the beginning of January in that case we have to design one GSM module. There are couple of ways in designing a GSM module but for interfacing with MIAC you don't have too many options.
Your figure is Ok and according to my plan..this is basically for if we can't get GSM module in time. In that case we have to GSM modem and there are lots of available modem to serve your purpose but I would suggest you to buy one Wavecom Fastrack M1206B modem as I have used that. I will give you details about the idea of GSM module design if we can't manage GSM module from MM.
What do you mean by real time.How can I use it??
In some system we want to show calender time and date and also sometimes want to start and stop some devices depending on daily time-table..in the Advanced expansion module there is Real time clock (RTC) module built-in to maintain calender time and date.
What do you mean by level shifter??
I answering this question..Basically all the serial GSM modem use RS232 protocol which don't use 0 to 5V but PIC uses 0 to 5V..In advanced expansion module, there is an USART (RS232 interface) but that provides TTL logic level (0 to 5V) so we need an level converter from TTL to RS232.
Hope this is clear :)
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

You can follow the following thread..
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 244#p21244
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Hello,
I haven't seen the videos of MiAC expansion modules earlier..I should see before posting. I can tell you now clearly what to do..
You have MIAC..
so you can simply buy following..
1. Upgrade Flowcode to FCV5
2. MIAC - Serial expansion module MI8447 (you don't need Advanced expansion module) (http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/product ... PHPSESSID=)
3. LM35Dz temperature sensor
4. PIR motion sensor
5. RS232 GSM modem (Wavecom Fastrack 1206B)
You done!
Serial expansion module has RS232 serial link which can be interfaced to GSM modem. Serial expansion module also has I/O and ADC inputs which can be used for sensor and PIR control.
You can see the video..
Intro to the MIAC System - 2
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

DylanBalloo
Flowcode V4 User

Post by DylanBalloo »

Can you please give me the reference of the PIR you used.I've seen one it the PIR 1200R-PIR motion detector.what is your opinion about it?
I have PM Leigh for the GSM module for the date which it will be available.
For the being being Enamaul, we'll concentrate on the motion sensor and temperature sensor flowcode program first. Then, afterwards we'll add the GSM module in it.What do you think?
Can you please give me your idea how to start the flowcode program.I will try to do one and you'll have a look at it.

Thank Enamul

DylanBalloo
Flowcode V4 User

Post by DylanBalloo »

LEigh Can you please tell me when willl the GSM module be available.If you got a fixed date it will be very useful.
Thank you

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hi Dylan,
We don’t yet have a fixed date for general availability in January. However, as the timing is critical to your project completion and you are keen to use and demonstrate our GSM module, I will ensure there is one available for you in early January, so that you can start putting your project together in the knowledge of what you will be using.
Regards,
Leigh

DylanBalloo
Flowcode V4 User

Post by DylanBalloo »

Hi Leigh,
That's a great news, I've got an extension of two weeks, that is, up to mid of February to return the project.If you ensure me that I will get the GSM module by January I trust you. I'll wait for it. Please let me know as soon as it is available.
Thank you Leigh

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Can you please give me the reference of the PIR you used.I've seen one it the PIR 1200R-PIR motion detector.what is your opinion about it?
Here is my one..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Portable-P ... 4163fb5414
But following one seems more sensitive..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sensitive-PIR ... 0880768651
I've got an extension of two weeks, that is, up to mid of February to return the project.
I will ensure there is one available for you in early January
This seems reasonable.
For the being being Enamaul, we'll concentrate on the motion sensor and temperature sensor flowcode program first.
The problem is you have FCV4 and add on modules are available in FCV5 how can you see the code..I was going to post but I stuck in thinking so :?
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

DylanBalloo
Flowcode V4 User

Post by DylanBalloo »

URGENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Hello Leigh can you please give me these details for the GSM module

The Item full Name, The item Code and the price...

DylanBalloo
Flowcode V4 User

Post by DylanBalloo »

Thanks Enamul for the PIR.
The problem is that the flowcode 5 is being bought by the university and it will take some time to get it. Can't we do the basic of the flowcode program??

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Yes, you can. I will post some basic program using MIAC for your to play with in FCV4
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

DylanBalloo
Flowcode V4 User

Post by DylanBalloo »

Ok Enamul.Thank you

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

There are couple of example in example folder I got..you can try playing with those..If you stuck at any point just give us a shout..
Attachments
MIAC.zip
(22.09 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

DylanBalloo
Flowcode V4 User

Post by DylanBalloo »

Ok thank you Enamul.I'll look at it and come to you if i've got any query.
Thank you loads