Flowcode 5 for AVR...good release ?

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

Mathy

Flowcode 5 for AVR...good release ?

Post by Mathy »

Hello !

I have Flowcode 4 for PIC and DsPIC.
I was faced with lots a bugs ( particularly on MCU with more than 40 pins ).
I have Flowcode V5 for PIC too but I can't tell anything, I use it only few minutes but I saw on the V5 forum many bugs fixes.

I use Flowcode because my business involves being very responsive and spend my time just to find where the bug is in Flowcode is not a good method.

Brief, this is not a reproach, maybe the problem isn't matrix multimedia but microchip and theirs MCU with full of subtleties.

What I want to know is if Flowcode for AVR is more reliable? I saw that in version 5, we can program ATXMEGA.

Someone already has experience with this software and MCU?

Thank you for your help.

Enamul

Re: Flowcode 5 for AVR...good release ?

Post by Enamul »

Hi,
I am using Flowcode v4 and V5 for commercial purpose like you. I agree with you but you must say MM people work hard to make much more universal which causes the problem. These people are working in their limit.

What I would suggest you "try to use those chips which are more frequently used by PIC community" which is more noticed and bug free. Although I understand this is not always possible..I guess FC V5 for PIC is much more mature than any other version. Another thing I always maintain in designing my program for commercial products "never use new feature until I become certain it is a stable feature".

Thanks,
Enamul
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

dazz

Post by dazz »

Hi Mathy

Agree with you to a point, but the support from matrix is unequaled, and fixes are very quick once they are noticed, the users on this forum are fantastic as well as some of the more experienced users will often help out other users with bug fixes etc, its one of the best supported pieces of software around, i agree v5 was a bit buggy initially but there have been continuous update on the forum for bugs, v5 is now at v5.2 and as far as im aware 5.3 will arrive soon, also bear in mind that most software is buggy when theres a major upgrade and matrix cant test every function with every MCU, but will sort out issues quite quickly.

I have avr v5 Pro at the moment i use it with the arduino duemilanove and mega2560 initially there was an issue on compiling to the arduinos and this was sorted very quickly( avrdude parameters not flowcode), One other very good point is Matrix are very pro active when there is an issue, and this was proved with the release of Avr v5 version as its is very stable. If you want to test it with the atxmega (not sure if there is an atxmega in the free version). you can pm me a flowchart created in v5 pic or in v5_AVR and i will send you back the hex compiled for the atxmega so you will be able to test the xmega mpu( Of course this will be subject to permission obtained from Matrix and for non commercial testing only).

I have no connection with Matrix apart from being a very satisfied customer

Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

What I want to know is if Flowcode for AVR is more reliable? I saw that in version 5, we can program ATXMEGA.

Someone already has experience with this software and MCU?
Hello,

We strive to make Flowcode as reliable as possible and where there is a problem we try and help where we can to get this fixed as soon as we can.

The ATXMEGA family is new to Flowcode AVR so there are likely to be some outstanding bugs with these devices, we've not spotted yet.

Mathy

Post by Mathy »

Hello !

I can imagine that it is difficult to make a stable software for the entire range of Microchip MCU.
If I did not understand that, I do not think I would have bought 3 different releases of Flowcode!

I don't want my topic to be taken for a criticism of Matrix Multimedia team.
Flowcode is very useful to me. But even if you try to provide assistance quickly on the forum, it happens sometimes 2 to 3 days or more to fix the problem.
On one side is fast, another is a long time for my business.

Therefore, I am turning to the AVR family who seems smaller. I suppose Flowcode for AVR is more stable.
The ATXMEGA are recent and performing.

My understanding is that ATXMEGA was not available in trial version. Is it possible to have just one ?
Ideally, the ATXMEGA32A4U ?

Thank you in advance.

Mathy

Post by Mathy »

Any news ?

Does someone has already compiled a program with a ATXMEGA?
How is the management of fuses? (I already had a problem with PIC24)
Is that all the major components (PWM, RS232, ADC, SPI, I2C, etc.) works fine and compiles without errors?

Thank you for your help :)

Mathy

Post by Mathy »

Is it possible to have some detail about my questions ?
I have a budget to buy another Flowcode release but I don't want to give some £ for nothing if the target I want don't compile well.

Thank you for your understanding.

dazz

Post by dazz »

Hi mathy

in my last reply i offered to compile to hex for you and send you the hex to test, send me a flowchart and i will send you the hex back

Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php