Cannot Program EB006

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

ardu

Cannot Program EB006

Post by ardu »

I am new to E-Blocks. I have looked on the forums to try to solve my problem but the solutions have not worked for me. Using the EB006 and Flowcode V4 and a simple program to toggle leds (the led board is connected to the EB006) I variously get that it cannot id the microcontroller or the USB is not connected. I am using windows 64-bit with a i5 intel processor. The only driver of the three drivers on the EB006 page that will install for the EB006 is dpinst_amd64.exe. Isn't that for an amd processor? I tried the 16F88 then the 16F877A which below is for.

Once when I did get a little further it gave the following:

File name: C:\FlowCode\PIC NonProgrammers\wink\Wink.c

Generated by: Flowcode v4.5.18.74

Date: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 10:12:59

Licence: Professional

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com

Launching the compiler...

c:\program files (x86)\matrix multimedia\flowcode v4\boostc\boostc_pic16_flowcode.exe -v -t PIC16F88 "Wink.c"

BoostC Optimizing C Compiler Version 7.04 (for PIC16 architecture)

http://www.sourceboost.com

Copyright(C) 2004-2011 Pavel Baranov

Copyright(C) 2004-2011 David Hobday

Licensed to FlowCode User under Single user Pro License for 1 node(s)

Limitations: PIC12,PIC16 max code size:Unlimited, max RAM banks:Unlimited

Wink.c

Starting preprocessor: c:\PROGRA~2\MATRIX~1\FLOWCO~1\boostc\pp.exe Wink.c -i c:\PROGRA~2\MATRIX~1\FLOWCO~1\boostc\include -d _PIC16F88 -la -c2 -o Wink.pp -v -d _BOOSTC -d _PIC16 -d _CHAR_INDEX

Wink.c success

success

Return code = 0

Launching the linker/assembler...

c:\program files (x86)\matrix multimedia\flowcode v4\boostc\boostlink_pic.exe -ld "C:\program files (x86)\matrix multimedia\flowcode v4\boostc\lib" libc.pic16.lib flowcode.pic16.lib rand.pic16.lib float.pic16.lib "Wink.obj" -t PIC16F88 -d "C:\\FlowCode\PIC NonProgrammers\wink" -p "Wink"

BoostLink Optimizing Linker Version 7.03

http://www.sourceboost.com

Copyright(C) 2004-2011 Pavel Baranov

Copyright(C) 2004-2011 David Hobday

Warning unreferenced functions removed:

FCI_FLOAT_TO_STRING in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\FCD\internals.h

FCI_NUMBER_TO_HEX in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\FCD\internals.h

FCI_STRING_TO_INT in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\FCD\internals.h

FCI_STRING_TO_FLOAT in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\FCD\internals.h

Wdt_Delay_S in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\FCD\internals.h

Wdt_Delay_Ms in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\FCD\internals.h

isinf in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\FCD\internals.h

Building CASM file

Memory Usage Report

===================

RAM available:368 bytes, used:36 bytes (9.8%), free:332 bytes (90.2%),

Heap size:332 bytes, Heap max single alloc:110 bytes

ROM available:4096 words, used:103 words (2.6%), free:3993 words (97.4%)

success

Return code = 0

Launching the programmer...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe -cs 2 -chip PIC16F88 -nogui "Wink.hex"

Sending program...

Error: 31Error: 31Error: 995Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2Error: 2

Erasing the PICmicro

NOTE: EEPROM data will also be erased!

Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5

Error: 5Error: 5Writing program memory

Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Writing configuration memory

Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Programming failed: <config1> & <config2>

That took 20.0 seconds

Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5Error: 5

Return code = 0

FINISHED

What do I need to do?

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Cannot Program EB006

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi
Ive moved your post to the FC4 forums
Can you please follow the link below and register your copy, then you will have full access to the forums.

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php
I am new to E-Blocks. I have looked on the forums to try to solve my problem but the solutions have not worked for me. Using the EB006 and Flowcode V4 and a simple program to toggle leds (the led board is connected to the EB006) I variously get that it cannot id the microcontroller or the USB is not connected. I am using windows 64-bit with a i5 intel processor. The only driver of the three drivers on the EB006 page that will install for the EB006 is dpinst_amd64.exe. Isn't that for an amd processor? I tried the 16F88 then the 16F877A which below is for.
You are using the correct driver for your system.

Here are a few things to try

If you look in device manager with the EB006 powered by 12V and connected to the usb is the entry correct, or does it have the yellow error sign on it.
That way you know if the device is being seen by the USB.

Is the EB006 set up as per the datasheet. (there are a lot of links that can be changed)

Are you using the default installation/setup for Flowcode

Have you tried programming the device without any eblocks connect to the EB 006. Some Eblocks can give problems when programming if connected.
Though I have never seen the errors you are reporting
Warning unreferenced functions removed:
These are nothing to be concerned about, its just the compiler telling you that certain files are not needed for your program.

Can you post your program so we can check you config settings.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

ardu

Post by ardu »

I am using the 13.5 V of the E-Block power supply to power the EB006. I disconnected the LED E-Block and the same thing as above happened ( Error 31. Then it said the EEPROM had not been erased. I did not want to continue so I said not to continue. When I tried to run it again it said the USB was not connected.)

The Device Manager has Custom USB Devices - Matrix PICmicro Programmer. There is no yellow error sign on it and Properties says the device is working. I check that every time and it is ok even though Flowcode says it cannot see the USB.

The EB006 settings are: Use PSU, USB, OSC, XTAL, and FAST. I also set the clock speed at 19660800, the speed of the board XTAL because I saw a forum post that said to do that.

By default installation/setup for Flowcode I assume you are referring to the compiler settings. The Linker parameters was incorrect so as a forum post said I changed it to:

-ld "C:\program files (x86)\matrix multimedia\flowcode v4\boostc\lib" libc.pic16.lib flowcode.pic16.lib rand.pic16.lib float.pic16.lib "%f.obj" -t PIC%p -d "%d" -p "%f"

Previously it said somthing about a sourceboost location and only had libc.pic18.lib even after I said restore defaults and even though I had selected a PIC16 chip. I assume the compiler errors are because I added the flowcode, rand, float libs even though my code was not using them but that was what the forum post said to do.

I assume you are wanting the C code program so I am posting that.

I also want to mention that about half the time when I connect the EB006 USB to my computer, just after I connect the EB006 USB to my computer, my computer crashes. Looking at what is printed to the screen, my computer seems to be doing something with the computer disk drive after the crash to try to recover but cannot recover so I have to turn the computer off and it goes back to the last restore point when booting up.
Attachments
Wink_For_Forum_Post.c
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 387 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

I would unplug the EB006 from both the PSU and the USB and leave for a few seconds.

Then replug the USB cable between the EB006 and the PC.

Then replug the PSU and switch on.

Then try sending a program again. If the problem remains then maybe try a different target PIC device.

Similar issues have occurred when customers try placing two microcontrollers onto the same EB006 and expecting them both to run/program side by side.

ardu

Post by ardu »

Hi,

I was connecting my EB006 USB to a USB hub because I read that if my electronics are not correct I could damage my computer USB when I plugged my device into my computer USB. By connecting to a USB hub instead of my computer USB any electronics problems would damage the hub USB not my computer USB. Since you were emphasizing the power process I decided to plug the EB006 USB directly into my computer USB. The EB006 is working now. The USB hub had worked with an Arduino so I expected it to work with EB006. I tried a different USB hub and it is working with the EB006. I think this was half of my problem. I think the other half of my problems were solved by unplugging the EB006 USB and PSU and waiting a while before trying to program again. I appreciate the help. I can now program both the PIC16F88 and PIC16F877A (one plugged into the board at a time during programming of course).

:D

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Glad to hear youve got it working.
I dont think Ive ever used a hub for my Matrix programmers. Always plug them into the PC directly and never had any problems.

If you are worried about damaging your pc with circuits, what I would suggest is program the PIC with nothing else connected to the EB006 and then disconnect the USB from the PC, before connecting other devices to the programmer.
The Matrix hardware is all well designed and uses proven circuits.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

ardu

Post by ardu »

That is a good idea. Thanks. I am not really worried about the E-Blocks. I am more worried about me not doing things right.