usb connection for ECIO40

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

achillis1

usb connection for ECIO40

Post by achillis1 »

Hello,

In order to connect my ECIO as COM device what are the steps?

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards,

Andreas Achilleos

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: usb connection for ECIO40

Post by Benj »

Hello Andreas,

If you find the Flowcode v4 examples pack from our learning centre then there should be an example in the "Components/USB Serial" directory which is of use to you.

Let me know how your getting on.

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

Hello Ben,

I do not know why I am kind of lost with this -since I have done it before!- but I cannot make the ECIO to appear as com device in device manager. I can only make it to appear as custom USB device> flowcode USB slave. Is that how is supposed to be? I remember once that it could appear as COM device as well.
Do I have to load to the ECIO the slave or serial FCF example?
I have looked in the V4 examples pack but in the "slave" directory there are some drivers in the "serial" directory aren't any.

I need to use the ECIO with the VBA examples.

Thank you in advanvce,

Best Regards,

Andreas Achilleos

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Andreas,

The USB VID and PID have likely been used for the slave in the past and your PC is remembering what device they used to stand for.

Be careful with the USB VID and PID identifiers two different devices should not use the same values and the USB components should each have their own pre-defined demo values. Changing the PID by adding or subtracting 1 should allow the USB serial to start working again.

For drivers, the USB serial only needs the inf file created from the USB Serial component properties. The USB slave needs it's own .inf file plus a set of existing files.

Let me know how you get on.

achillis1

Post by achillis1 »

Hello,

Actually the laptop is newly formatted but never the less I have changed the PID and VID but no success.

I had the impression that after downloading the flowcode routine to ECIO containing the serial component then windows would re-detect ECIO as USB-something device and then would ask for the USB drivers ( the ones that are generated through the serial component properties)
Is that right?
If yes then in my case after I download the routine to ECIO nothing happens and in device manager is listed as USB custom device and not as COM port.

Can ECIO be appeared as COM port?

If I need USB functionality with PIC 18F877A, then will Ihave to use the EB-055-00-1 board or I can use the USB on the programmming board?

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Andreas Achilleos

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

I had the impression that after downloading the flowcode routine to ECIO containing the serial component then windows would re-detect ECIO as USB-something device and then would ask for the USB drivers ( the ones that are generated through the serial component properties) Is that right?
That sounds right to me. What is the LED on the ECIO doing?

If it is flashing then the ECIO is in bootloader mode and should appear in device manager as an ECIO.
If it is not flashing then the ECIO is running your program which should be configuring it as a serial COM port device.
Can you get your ECIO to run a program? what about a simple program to toggle some LEDs. Does this work as expected?
If I need USB functionality with PIC 18F877A, then will Ihave to use the EB-055-00-1 board or I can use the USB on the programmming board?
No you cannot use a 877A for USB communications unless you use a board such as the EB039 USB232. The EB055 only works with USB compatible devices eg the 18F4455.

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Could you post your program so we can take a look at it?
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis