Further to: Chip works perfectly in simulation BUT ......

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Further to: Chip works perfectly in simulation BUT ......

Post by christoph »

Hi Benj,

I dont know what has happened to my postings but went AWOL at the end so I am starting new one based on old one and where I am at now is that the registration issue appears to have been overcome and this evening I have finally managed to get back the capability to compile to hex and chip but am left with the fact that it takes 5 minutes to 'PROCESS' and 55 seconds or so for the 'linker assy' part. This problem is across ALL my flowcharts. Martin ran the chart I posted and the whole operation took 8 seconds which is similar to how it used to be. Getting a bit desperate now cos I do quite a lot of tweaking and transferring them to chip to try and obviously it is taking ages.

Could you or anyone give me some idea what I could try to solve this....

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Re: Further to: Chip works perfectly in simulation BUT .....

Post by LeighM »

Try running Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and see what program or process is hogging resources whilst the build is in progress.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Sometimes the compiler can be blocked or slowed down by Antivirus software. Adding the compiler executables to the Antivirus ignore list may help to speed up compilation.

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Thankyou fellars,
I am posting attachment of Task manager which shows about 50% (?) of the CPU useage and Flowcode at the same time is showing the same! the rest are basically zero. Is this the answer and if so what can I do about it? ( I am not very computer-literate I'm afraid! )

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Task manager view while compiling chart to hex.jpg
(533.87 KiB) Downloaded 3562 times
Sorry - 'lost' attachment - here it is:

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

There is a discussion about something similar here, which will hopefully help:
http://www.matrixtsl.com/mmforums/viewt ... 71&p=74256

And another here.
http://www.matrixtsl.com/mmforums/viewt ... 43&p=66605

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi Leigh,
I tried the first idea but when I got to the copatibility tab, I don't have "Run compatibility troubleshooter" - instead I have "Run this programme in compatibility mode for: and it has various old and newer windows OS's but not my Vista Ultimate 32 bit. However it must have used one of them because everything was working before the Flowcode processing time suddenly became 5 minutes! So effectively I haven't a compatibility troubleshooter so stuck there!

I would like to try the anti virus things but I dont know how to disable that kind of thing either the built-in Windows Defender or my BitDefender 2016 protection and even if this solves the problem, how do I deal with it as I obviously need the protection and has always been ok before anyway?

How do I stop the 50% "Host Processes for Windows Services" running - which you see on my Screen shot attachment which I saw when I ran task manager at same time as Flowcode was processing the 'compile to chip'?

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Sorry, I meant Hi Steve

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

I note that the Windows Host Processes at 50% of CPU is running the whole time - is that right?

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hi
No, that does not sound good.
I would suggest temporarily stopping BitDefender 2016 and Windows Defender and see if that changes anything.
I'm not that familiar with either, but a search on Google with these turned up some results ...
how to pause BitDefender 2016
how to pause Windows Defender

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi Leigh'

Have tried both of those possibilities and no difference. I then went through the 'SERVICES' in Task Manager and 'stopped' anything unnecessary or looked as though it might contribute to the continuous 50% CPU useage but to no avail. I have just re-booted computer and it seemed to be ok running at between 2% to 8% CPU then I called for a flowchart and it went to 100% CPU and after about 3 minutes of the flowchart processing time I stopped and cancelled the flowchart and CPU dropped to the 50% again. Apart from the computer 50% of CPU, does 50% for a small Flowcode programme seem ok. My computer is not modern but is fast and was a top spec in its day running Windows Vista Ultimat 32 bit and has never been slow before this all happened one day when I turned it on, tweaked a flowchart and found it was taking the 5 minutes to process. I have plenty of memory left and it says everything is functioning correctly and BitDefender shows that historically all has been ok!

EtsDriver

Post by EtsDriver »

Could you download and run Process Explorer?
Could it be that flowcode leaves networking open or process jams?

Try disabling all antivirus and firewall, and if that doesnt help, try same offline and see if problem persists?
Ill just keep the good work up!

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi all,

I wonder if Martin or someone could check how much CPU %age is being used for compiling to hex the attached chart. I have found that after much 'cleaning up and sorting out' of my computer, it now runs CPU at 4% to 8% ( as oppose to the 50% it WAS using as per my previous postings ) with nothing else running (apart from Task Manager which indicates the current CPU %age). I select Flowcode and click on the Flowcode Chart ( the attachment ) and apart from a few 'blips' it settles at approx. 5 to 8%. I click on flowchart to 'compile to hex' and it goes to 50 to 65% CPU with occasional higher 'blips whilst 'processing' which takes 5 minutes. Link Assembler takes a further 54 seconds! So in my case, subtracting the 8% from the 65% gives 57% is being used during the 'processing' and it is taking 5 minutes.

I would like to know how much CPU %age is being used on say your computer, Martin ( or anyone ), whilst getting the normal times that you were and I USED to get :(( It might give me some clues as to the problem - I hope anyway!
Attachments
AI SUPERSENDER X 88 FINAL.fcf
(9 KiB) Downloaded 500 times

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Also, might someone be able to indicate what the compiler functions should be or do a screen print of how it looks if the attachment on their computer is working ok - because something went wrong with some of the compiler information a long time ago and I think it was a known hic-up that could occur and which I believe Benj sorted out at the time but I dont find any sign of the relevent post to check.