Flowcode with Sourceboost V6.97 and MPlab8.53

Moderator: Benj

Lieuwe

Flowcode with Sourceboost V6.97 and MPlab8.53

Post by Lieuwe »

Hello,

I have a SourceBoost-C licence, so I can use this compiler outside Flowcode.
By using flowcode to generate the C-file for the MPlab project, you can easily use tools like the Picstartplus, or ICD2, ICD3 etc.
Also you can easy switch language tools like Hitech / Sourceboost.

First you create a map for your project, you place the flowcode file inside, you compile to C inside flowcode.
Now you can load this c file into MPlab, add the locations of the libary files: you find them into C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\boostc\Lib
Not needed if you use hitech.
Add the location of header file you find this one at: C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\FCD\internals.h

Now you can build your project.

However.....................................

Above worked until
When you use Sourceboost V6.96 this wil work.
when you use Sourceboost V6.97 it won't (Flowcode uses now V6.95 included in flowcode package).
you get compiler error: .obj file error:Expected FILE_SECTION.

Above works fine without problems with Flowcode3 files, of course you don't get Hitech c code in FC3, and the lib and header file files are in Flowcode 3 program file map.
(see how small the header file is compared to the one in flowcode4).

I think the problem is also the combination Sourceboost V6.97 and this flowcode 4 headerfile.

Maybe when flowcode 4 gets PIC16F1xx target support for source boost (now only Hitech support) this problem gets solved.

I know this is somehow not a bug (yet), be course Iuse a newer version of the compiler than the one in the Fowcode package.
It maybe becomes one when matrix upgrade this included compiler.

Also a suggestion: You could sell flowcode without C compiler.
In this way you can buy the compiler license that fits your needs.
Also you can use all microchip programmer /debuggers in this way, by using flowcode as a sort of C - file generator, and then Use MPlab for compiling and programming.

I have added the map with flowcode file and MPlab project for Flowcode 3 and 4.

Lieuwe
Last edited by Lieuwe on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: Flowcode with Sourceboost V6.97 and MPlab8.53

Post by Steve »

Thanks for the info.

I think the libraries in Flowcode are built with a particular linker version which are not compatible with the latest linker from SourceBoost.

If we generate the lib files with the latest SourceBoost toolchain, then this problem might be solved. However, we cannot guarantee that the C code produced by Flowcode will work with the latest compiler.