USB Design

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 5.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 5 or higher.

Moderator: Benj

keejay
Flowcode v5 User

USB Design

Post by keejay »

Hi all,

I am new to USB so I have a few "silly" questions. I would like to send a request for data from a PC (Windows8.1) to a PIC. The PIC must then respond by retrieving the data from AD etc and then send this data back to the PC.
Now my questions are:
1. Do I use USB Serial / USB HID / USB Slave?
2. Is there windows software that I can download that will allow me to send a number to the PIC through the USB (i.e. the request for data) and then see what the PIC sends back to the computer (the response from the PIC)

Thanks in advance

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: USB Design

Post by kersing »

There are several options. Which one to choose depends on the software you want to use on the PC.

When using the USB Serial the PC will detect an additional serial port, allowing you to use a simple terminal emulator to talk to the PIC. Standard software like Hyperterminal or Putty should work.
USB HID would require custom software on the PC. See this tips & tricks forum message for an example.
USB Slave is the lowest level. I would not recommend it for Windows use. For Linux I would recommend it over HID as it is easier to write the host code.

For Windows, USB Serial would be the easiest to start, USB HID the more powerful (and more difficult to start with) option.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis