Can't get Flowcode to work with 16F88/16F628

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 5.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 5 or higher.

Moderator: Benj

cardac

Can't get Flowcode to work with 16F88/16F628

Post by cardac »

Hello folks.. I have looked up and down the forum postings.. I am not sure if the question I have fits into this subject area, or not.??
I have tried and tested the 5.Digital Frequency Counter.fcf flowchart.. given in examples. I have tested it with the said 16F88 chip files. It seems to work in the simulation mode. I built up the hardware using a PIC16F88, and a LCD display... according to as it could be. I checked all the pin allocations... registers, and variables.. and when I had the hardware built up - I could not get it to work at all.. I have tried - all sorts of changes.. n variables, and registers.. but simply just cannot get a PIC16F88 to work in real hardware... as a frequency counter.. I then took a PIC16F84, and used that... it is sort of pin compatible... and that processor worked... I then sat for many hours - and tried my best.. to get a reaction from a real PIC16F88... but to no avail at all.. I just cannot get the hardware to work. I looked all over the forums... and have only found really one paragraph - where BENJ comments that a simply defining icon to setup the I/O's as digital I/O's - sets the internal registers, and variables to digital I/O's... I have tried all sorts of flowchart changes - and yet simply cannot get the 16F88 to work.. (it works in simulation - but not in real practise).
So if anyone reading this - will probably get annoyed... with me.. but please excuse me... I just trying and testing some things... I am a pensioner - and cannot afford this lovely stuff ... and can only imagine, how lovely, and very smartly, the real programs can work.. I will never ever be able to afford this stuff - but as an electronic engineer - am fascinated at how these things work. So I also tried a PIC16F628 - and the same thing is happening... the real hardware does not work... a PIC16F84 works... but the other two types just do not work.. Further studies seem to indicate to me that the FLOWCODE - does not re-assign the registers within the chips, correctly. What I call the simple plain chips - like the PIC16F84(A)... works okay.. but I want the program in a bigger chip - so I can add other programs as well.. It would seem that the FLOWCODE5 test program - is not doing it's work correctly. It would seem that after examining a real C-code file - generated - that the code has TRIS commands, or registers control - but maybe not working correctly. The I/O that I used to drive my 16F628 with - is wat I would imagine to be correct. One would expect that if it works in simulation - it's to be expected to work in real terms of hardware.??
If anyone can help me, with this coding, or register assignation, or even a working flowcode5 flowchart - of the 5.Digital Frequency Counter, I would be very excited... because then maybe I can learn something more.. Believe me I have tried most of what can be.. but I can only assume, that the FCD files are not correct, or somehow - they are incorrect.. so that the complier, or assembler, is not reading / setting up - the correct registers, and variables within the chips (!6F88 / 16F628 ) to work...
I really - wish to see them working in real time.. I have built up at least two PCB's, but cannot get anything to work.
I firmly believe that there is a real fault in flowcode5.. I have tried to run the flowcode6 program, but because of some fault somewhere, I cannot get the 30 day demo program to work. As I said - I am a pensioner, and will never ever be able to afford any of the real stuff.. but like to sit and imagine how the stuff really works.. (I have a friend with the real system, and love to visit him, and watch how it works.. and have tested the stuff there too - and it still does not work..
So please someone - I live in SA.. and well - if I can one day win the LOTTO or something... then I will buy a proper copy of this lovely stuff.. the children I show this stuff to, are absolutely captivated... they are 4-6 year olds... and I know that their minds are really "flying"...but we can only play...hmmm
thanks guys, and gals, and folks.. anyone who can help me.. can get me on sabpencer at gmail dot com... bye ybe now

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: Can't get Flowcode to work with 16F88/16F628

Post by medelec35 »

I have moved you post from tips and tricks as you was hijacking a post.

It sounds to me like a configuration issue.
That can be confirmed by posting the generated hex file.
I can then take a look at it for you.
Take a look here, that should help with your configuration settings.
what you need to do is use advance configuration mode and not simple mode.
If you configuration setting are correct and being transferred ok then the issue will be down to your hardware.

Martin
Martin

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Please post any of your non working programs (the Flowcode file) for us to take a look at.

[updated the subject to reflect the content of your message]
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

cubitus54
Flowcode v5 User

Post by cubitus54 »

To chance ...
The internal oscillator is the default 32kHz

Here's how to set 8MHz
16F88.gif
16F88.gif (21.33 KiB) Viewed 3922 times