WS2812B LED's

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 5.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 5 or higher.

Moderator: Benj

Frank607

WS2812B LED's

Post by Frank607 »

Hi all,

I want to make a program what can control WS2812B LED’s in a Matrix. I don’t know where to begin because on this forum is one topic on the WS2812B LED’s but it is in French. I don’t understand it.

Is it possible to make a program for these LED’s in FLowcode 5? If so, is there an example on this side?

Thanks for helping me.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: WS2812B LED's

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Yes it should be possible to get these LEDs working. I created an infinity coffee table using these LEDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uSHBNkZUEU

The hardest part of the project was balancing the timings, the LEDs require quite a fast and accurate signal so this needs to be tweaked until it works.

I'll see if I can dig out my program for you but I think it's written in v6 at the moment. You should at least be able to open the program up in the free version of v6 to see how it works and then port the code across to v5.

Frank607

Post by Frank607 »

Nice Ben !!

I will wait if you can find the program and post it. If I need v6 for this, then I will upgrade.

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Benj
I've had a play with these as well, but so far not got anything to work in FC. As you say looking at the data sheets they do seem to be critical on timings.
I have had them working with the Arduino using the custom library so I know my LEDs are OK.
Will be interesting to see how you did it.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Right I've had a dig and managed to find my file.

I posted it here on the forums: http://www.matrixtsl.com/mmforums/viewt ... =25#p57182

I used one of our new dsPIC based ECIO devices as the target MCU which will hopefully be being released shortly, otherwise an AVR/Arduino should be fine but you might struggle with a standard 8-bit PIC due to the speed of comms required. You never know though it might be possible.

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Code: Select all

I used one of our new dsPIC based ECIO devices
Are they going to be compatible with the current ECIO baseboard (They look like a very powerful device with lot of ports) or are you releasing a matching version.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi John,

The ECIO version will be completely compatible with the current PIC ECIO40 and will fit onto the EB061 applications board. It is this same ECIO device that I also used to drive my 8x8x8 LED cube. Release date for this is hopefully October the 1st.

We also have planned a new dsPIC ghost board with a fixed but powerful SMD chip which is the next size up in the same dsPIC EP family and has 6 full E-blocks ports available. This probably isn't going to surface until around next Jan as the prototype has only just landed on my desk.

Both boards feature a nice collection of peripherals ( 4 x UART, 4 x SPI, 2 x CAN, 2 x I2C, 12-bit ADC, USB, 16 x PWM ), 70MIPs @ 16-bit processor speed and the remapping functionality allowing you to move the dedicated pins around.

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Thanks I'll keep a watch out for them.

Alberta2012
Flowcode v5 User

Post by Alberta2012 »

I would LOVE to see a component for that !

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

I initially tried to create a component but the timings proved too critical to make a nice rule that always works. I suppose I could make something which had a fiddle factor property that allowed you to tweak the timings slightly until it started working.

I'll have another look at my file and see if I can work out a nice way to do it.

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Benj
We also have planned a new dsPIC ghost board with a fixed but powerful SMD chip which is the next size up in the same dsPIC EP family and has 6 full E-blocks ports available. This probably isn't going to surface until around next Jan as the prototype has only just landed on my desk.
Can I make a suggestion with the new 16bit board. Personally, I find the LEDs on the current version (Certainly mine which is one of the early ones) are a bit too bright for my taste. Maybe drop the intensity a touch. :shock: 8) .

Thanks