Like to read Port B then send to Port D

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 5.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 5 or higher.

Moderator: Benj

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: Like to read Port B then send to Port D

Post by medelec35 »

No problem John.
Reliability appeared to increase to 100% after the change.

Don't forget a test program can be used to determine correct values for servo component.
Let me know if yo want help in obtaining ideal values.

Indecently, I created a flowchart for test rig that had two microswitches placed at 180deg angles.
For a sucsessfull pass count the correct microswitch had to be activated at the correct time.
So if one Microswitch was stuck closed or open or servo did not get to the exact position then test would show a fail.
I set the limit to 32000

So fully clockwise then fully counter clockwise is one cycle.

The result is 32000 passes and 0 failures showing that the servo I used is very reliable.

Martin
Martin

JLeith

Post by JLeith »

Excellent information

I think the setting of 215 is going to work. I have 3 of the 7 position correct so when they flip the display is horizontal.

The bracket the hold the display has a slot for the horn to fit into. I have to get the horn on the shaft in the correct position.

I think I will use a degree finder and set it up so I can position the horn on the shaft.

Also now I have to find where to position the servo on the board so it can flip up and the display is correct. Little tricky but I think I can make it happen. It will be a lot of measuring.

I will let you know when I have the 1st full display up and running so you can appreciate all the hard work and training you have done.

John

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi John,
Just wondering how it's all going?
Martin

JLeith

Post by JLeith »

Hi Martin

The hard parts is making the PCB for the PIC16F1937. I 'm waiting on the Trim Pot for the LCD. Coming from China I got 20 - 10K pots for £ 0.23 I just have to wait

I would like to look at building a circuit from a PIC16F1937 to read the RS232 format we have developed for the Servo displays.

I have searched the web trying to figure out how to keep the segment display active. All my findings circuits are driven for the PIC and the display change on a given timing.

I have so much room in the old Scoreboard case with the removal of the Driver chips and relays.

I was thinking of having 8 - 7 segment numbers
7 Segment.jpg
7 Segment.jpg (8.04 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
I have 10 displays I believe are common cathode

I thought of taking the Servo program and adding 8 distinctions for each of the displays A to H.

I 'm stuck on how to keep the display say Ball 1 up for A1 and when it sees A2 it will change like it does for the servo design ? Need a driver chip I think but not 100 % sure.

How would suggest I begin while I'm waiting on the extra LCD and trim parts to arrive ?

Here is a picture of the PCB board
Attachments
1937 PCB board.jpg
(139.57 KiB) Downloaded 2062 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi John,
JLeith wrote:I 'm stuck on how to keep the display say Ball 1 up for A1 and when it sees A2 it will change like it does for the servo design ? Need a driver chip I think but not 100 % sure.
Have you seen this thread?
Not sure if it's what you had in mind or not?
Alternatively you could use MAX7219/MAX7221 as Nicolas suggested in the linked thread.

Martin
Martin

JLeith

Post by JLeith »

Thank you

I will review the info and the flowcode.

I will have to read up on the MAX7219 and Max7221

John

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

JLeith wrote:Here is a picture of the PCB board
John,

I would check the (red) trace at the left side, it is very close to the one next to it and might violate the design rules of print houses. The same applies to the VIAs, those are awfully small, does your print house allow them this small? I would also check the power/ground traces and use wider traces (and vias). The via next to pin 1 of the programming connector is positioned awkwardly, why not position it to the right of the pin? Or even better, remove it and use the pin itself as a via.

And I do not see any power decoupling capacitors on the pint. You will 'need' to add at least one 100nF next to the PIC to cleanup the power supply. (See Wikipedia for advice on decoupling capacitors)

Good luck with your design!

Jac
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

JLeith

Post by JLeith »

Hi Jac

The image was a screen shot and not 100% to scale.

I'm waiting for a couple of parts to arrive so I can add them in and double check the traces.

I use FreePCB for design and the design checks are happy.

Will double check before I send it out.

John