Open chart >10K: FC terminates without error

Moderator: Benj

chuckie

Open chart >10K: FC terminates without error

Post by chuckie »

Using WinXP SP3. Hardware is Toshiba T2250 (Intel Centrino Duo) @ 1.73GHz, 1GB of RAM
Flowcode Professional v5.0.0.0(16.01.2012)

Flowcode V4 was working with flowcharts > 10K. I installed FC V5 OK and activated it OK. I uninstalled FC V4 OK.
I open FC V5 (with option to create new Flowcode flowchart) OK
(Examples below are from the FlowcodePIC v4.3 CD)
I use File>Open to open a 9K flowchart and it opens OK. e.g.Examples/Assembly & C code/"3. External C and Assembler code.FCF" (size 9K)
Trying to open a 10K (and above) flowchart terminates the Flowcode session without reporting an error. e.g. Examples/Components/7 Segment/ "Four digit counter using timer interrupt.FCF" (size 10K)

I applied the fix mentioned in "v5.0 fix for freezes in very large flowcharts" but problem still occurs.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: Open chart >10K: FC terminates without error

Post by Steve »

Can you please post the flowchart (or PM it to me if it is not for the public domain) and we'll look into this problem.

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi. Also, I have tried opening the Examples/Components/7 Segment/ "Four digit counter using timer interrupt.FCF" and this works fine on my machine. Most of our test programs are over 10K and a 10K program should not require the fix for large flowcharts. As an example of a 'large program' the project this fix was was found with was 600K+ and had over 100 macros.

I can only guess there is some registry issue causing this problem. You could try deleting the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MatrixMM\FlowCodeV5" and see if this helps with the problem. If you do try this, please could you save a copy of this registry hive first and if it does sort the problem post it on this thread (you might have to archive it). This way we will be able to replicate the issue and find its cause.

To be honest though I don't see how it could as this sort of thing is likely to affect all loaded files. A bad install could also be an issue but again, I cant see how this could be a problem with specific files, unless it is with the components in that particular file.

Keep us posted,

Jonny

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi chuckie,
Examples/Components/7 Segment/Four digit counter using timer interrupt.FCF
is working OK for me.

Another possibility that should be considered is corruption of flowchart.
If you can post Flowchart as Steve suggested, we can see if it loads on our machines or is indeed corrupt.

Martin
Martin

chuckie

Post by chuckie »

I have managed to circumvent the problem by doing a clean install of FCv5.
I am a registry virgin but after looking through some regshots it would seem uninstalling FCv4 (whilst FCv5 is installed) removes something from the registry that FCv5 requires. This may be just on my system but you may want to run the following yourselves just to check.

On a system that has FCv4 and FCv5 installed,
1. Verify Examples/Components/7 Segment/ "Four digit counter using timer interrupt.FCF" opens in FCv5
2. Take a regshot
3. Uninstall FCv4
4. Take a regshot
5. Check what happens when you now open Examples/Components/7 Segment/ "Four digit counter using timer interrupt.FCF"

Another problem (just a nit really) is that FCv5 does not add the file extension .FCF to the registry, so double clicking on a file with an extension .FCF does not start FCv5.

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Thanks chuckie, that's a real help. We may have registry keys from v4 and v5 that clash, and this is certainly worth looking at. Also, good spot about the FCF extension.

Jonny

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hi Chuckie,

We have found the source of this problem. Basically, the Flowcode V4 uninstall routine removes registry information that is required for a number of the components.

The simplest fix for this is to re-run the installer of Flowcode V5 and select "repair".