Using a customised LCD display in Flowcode.

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

muxer107

Using a customised LCD display in Flowcode.

Post by muxer107 »

Im currently doing a project that will use a customised LCD display to display the temperature reading using a thermocouple.
Is there anyway of controlling a non serial LCD display in Flowcode.
The project specifys that the display needs to be a large customised one that has each segment controlled individually (as it is premade).

Any ideas people?! :P

Stephen

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

This all depends on the connections of the display. It could be that the 7-segment LED display component produces suitable code.

If not, you will need to create your own routines for converting a number into an appropriate outut pattern to display that number.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Stephen,

I would have thought that the problem will be generating the AC signals on the pins needed for a bare LCD without driver chip, let alone multiplexing those signals.

I recall that there are some PICs with in-built AC drivers for just this sort of project. However, I suspect that you will have to generate .fcd file for flowcode to be able to use them.

Mark
Go with the Flow.

muxer107

Post by muxer107 »

I didn't want to write back to this post until I had a more detailed way of explaining what I had to do, but basically I don't!

It looks like I'll need one pin for each output of the LCD display, which is going to be a bit of an issue as that means i'll have very few ports left for buttons, SPI communication, etc...

Im looking at generating the AC signal seperatly and then using the PIC outputs with AND gates to control the display, again, this is going to be another problem as this influnces cost, and final size of the project. This is obviously quite important.

To be honest when I asked this question I would have thought that there would be an externel chip that could be controlled with some sort of serial communication that would convert values to be read on this type of display. Surely someone has done something like this?

ive only two weeks left to finish this project and that includes pulling all my code together and hopefully putting the whole lot on a breadboard. If anyone could help me with this aspect of it I'd be very grateful as ive nearly everything else done and it would be a shame to let this ruin the final outcome.

TIA
Stephen

Pyrobrit

Post by Pyrobrit »

Would one of these help you?

http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/IC ... CM7212.pdf

4bit binary to 4 digit LCD driver chip. I've used a similar chip the 7224 counter for driving 7-seg LCD displays in the past.

Regards

Nick.W