Cannot run V6

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

Grahamm
Flowcode V4 User

Cannot run V6

Post by Grahamm »

I am using XP (service pack 3) and have recently downloaded the beta version of FC6 to try out. If I try and load an FC5 file(fcf), or an existing project, or try to start a new test program (eg "flash an LED"), or load an FC6 (fcfx) file, Flowcode 6 simply freezes up and won't respond to any mouse clicks. None of the windows showing will respond or allow themselves to be dragged or repositioned and they don't show any flowcharts or data as expected. I can't even do a print screen to show you. My mouse arrow changes to an hourglass. have to go to the task manager to end the program which indicates "not responding".
It may well be a problem unique to my computer, but I have never had a problem running V3, V4 or V5.
Perhaps someone else has encountered this or maybe it is a serious bug which needs to be sorted out. I hope we can solve this.

acestu

Re: Cannot run V6

Post by acestu »

Hi Grahamm,

Just a thought but have you installed any of the Flowcode 6 Patches that are available, if not you can download them on the forum here:

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 53&t=12705

P.S. I am running XP SP3

Thanks
Acestu
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi Grahamm. This has definitely not been seen before. It may be an OpenGL issue or some other difference in your machine.

Just to confirm, you can't even open an empty test program?

There is a program by a company called NirSoft, here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_is_hang.html and also this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/applicatio ... eport.html

These provide a textual dump of the system when it locks up or crashes, respectively. If you can run these and PM me with as much information as it provides (what you describe sounds like a deadlock, so if there is an option to view stack traces of all threads that would be a help) in a text file, we may be able to get to the bottom of this.

Run them from an empty project rather than an existing file, as there are less unknowns that way.

Cheers,

Jonny

Grahamm
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Grahamm »

Hi Jonny
I can't open an empty test program either. As Acestu suggested (thanks for the info!), I have downloaded the patch(es)but this makes no difference.
I shall get on to using the utilities you suggested this afternoon and, as soon as I have something to report, I shall revert back to you.
Cheers for now.
Grahamm

Grahamm
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Grahamm »

Hi Jonny
I have run the WhatIsHang utility and I attach the result I obtained. I hope this can help and, if so, perhaps you can tell me what the next step would be.
Regards
Grahamm
Attachments
Flowcode 6 Hangs.doc
WhatIsHang utility report on FC6
(42.5 KiB) Downloaded 452 times

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi there. Thanks for getting back so quick.

When you run WhatIsHang, you get the option to 'Get Hang Information - All Threads'. Did you click that option? That crash report only has one stack trace, and it is all zeros which is not much to go on.

If this way doesn't get anywhere I can build an executable that traces the activity and reports it back to me, but that kind of thing is very trial and error, so may take a few attempts to get to the problem, if you are willing?

Jonny

Grahamm
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Grahamm »

Hi Jonny
Sorry I was not able to come back sooner. I have redone this using CTRL F9 (all threads) and I attach this report. It again looks like all zeros. There were 5 window titles/processes listed in the top window of the utility (eg Properties, System Panel, Dashboard Panel, Chip and Flowcode. I highlighted the Properties one and this report is the result.
Flowcode also succeeded in making WhatIsHang hang.
I don't know whether this will be of any use, so let me know what we may have to try next.

Regards
Grahamm

Edit
I am now told the file is too big (max allowed 256Kb) so I am not sure what to do next.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Graham,

I have sent you a PM with my email address so you can email the file to me directly.

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi Graham.
Flowcode also succeeded in making WhatIsHang hang.
Thats impressive.
I don't know whether this will be of any use, so let me know what we may have to try next.
I can send you a series of executables to help isolate the problem. This would be a trial and error thing so there may be no joy at first and it will take a few attempts, but I will put something in place to help out and hopefully we can get somewhere with it.

I will try and get this sorted as a priority - its no good you not being able to sample the delights of Flowcode like this!

Jonny

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Hi,

Can you please PM me, we will go through a few things that i can try help with.