Send and receive serial data via GSM

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

Dave Squibb
Flowcode v5 User

Send and receive serial data via GSM

Post by Dave Squibb »

Hello,

This is a request for guidance in how to send and receive serial data via GSM modems.

I have an EB066 Quad Band GSM/GPRS EBlock Board, EB006 Multiprogrammer and an RS232 EBlock at each end of the link.

Using John Crow's excellent article as a base and one set of the boards above I can send an SMS text from a mobile phone and read it on a serial terminal.

What I want to achieve is to send serial data as below:

PC > RS232 > GSM ------------------------------- GSM > RS232 > LCD (Eventually save to a file).

I don't want to use SMS due to the 140 char limit. Is it a matter of making a voice call and then send at one end / receive at the other using AT commands? Are there suitable commands in the Flowcode GSM component? I appreciate that the data will need to be formatted and checked, just need help on the basic setup for now.

Any help appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Re: Send and receive serial data via GSM

Post by LeighM »

The Flowcode GSM component supports basic voice calling and text message sending,
but it also has macros that will help you, such as SendCommand, SendScript and StringReceive.

The GSM e-block supports an extensive AT command set, and should be able to make a data connection,
but I've not tried this myself, have a look at the AT Command Reference Guide
in the resource pack at http://www.matrixtsl.com/resources/getr ... php?id=683

Alternatively, the GSM module also supports PDU mode and concatenated SMS, which gets past the 140 character limit (160 for GSM7).

Dave Squibb
Flowcode v5 User

Re: Send and receive serial data via GSM

Post by Dave Squibb »

Thanks for your response Leigh.

I will have a look into your suggestions.

Dave.