Using LCD component

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

allenkkwong

Using LCD component

Post by allenkkwong »

Hi Benj,

I am using the LCD component (EB005, 2x16) macro in my FC. I can simulate the result successful. I then built the hardware with DMC16249UB which uses the same Hitachi HD44780 as EB005. Unfortunately, I can see nothing on the LCD module.

Can you let me know if I have to purchase the EB005 or I have to write the driver myself?

Rgds,
Allen

Docara

Re: Using LCD component

Post by Docara »

Hi Allen,

Slightly off topic but I used a generic 2x16 Hitachi based 44780 on an Arduino (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/16x2-lcd-shie ... uino-n07dh) I actually did a custom font tutorial based on the 44780 (search the tips section). You could follow the steps to get the display working before applying the customisation bit. u

I used the generic 16x2 LCD Component in FC (NOT the named one) and remapped the pins to suit via the properties window and the LCD datasheet One thing I noticed was the contrast potentiometer on the display needed to be tweaked to see anything- this might apply to you.

Also, a little bit of extra info to help with your troubleshooting - the whole Arduino Uno board and LCD above was able to be powered via the USB cable, and no additional powers supplies were needed.

So my advice to you is check pin connections and verify power supply is nice smoothed and adequately rated.

Matt

allenkkwong

Post by allenkkwong »

Hi Matt,

Great ! It works. It is not off topic. Your advice is awesome. I tweak the voltage and it does work immediately. The contrast voltage is so sensitive.

Thanks again for your help ! It works in a minute after I follow your advice.

Rgds,
Allen

Docara

Post by Docara »

Hi Allen,

Great news, thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

Was it just the contrast in the end or something else? Strange you say it is taking a minute to display anything

Matt

allenkkwong

Post by allenkkwong »

Hi Matt,

Sorry for my late response as I was not in forum for quite some time. Yes. It is just contrast.

Thanks again.

Rgds