Labview 64 bit api.dll for ECIO

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

gstreet

Labview 64 bit api.dll for ECIO

Post by gstreet »

Hi Labview 15 is calling out an error in the flowcode sample programs for PC USB communication, Labviews debug suggest the ECIO api.dll version may not be 64 bit compatible. Is there a compatible version available and can you point the way? Thanks Gary

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Labview 64 bit api.dll for ECIO

Post by Benj »

Hi Gary,

That's a strange one, not seen that so it must be a new feature of Labview to be 64-bit compatible. Is there any way to force Labview to either call the DLL in 32-bit mode or to run Labview in 32-bit mode to remove the compatibility issue? When we made the DLL there was no 64-bit (or maybe very rare) so it was compiled in 32-bit only. I'll make a note to try and have a dig for the source to see if we can compile for 64-bit but for now I would work on making Labview 32-bit unless you specifically need the new 64-bit features.

gstreet

Post by gstreet »

Hi Benj
After a little digging turns out Labview 64bit is has been around since 2009 but it looks like the 32bit dll can't be persuaded to join the party. Labview installed a 64 bit version by default on my machine (not paying attention). Good news is you can install both 64 bit and 32bit from the same licence. lets hope it doesn't get too messy swapping over and I don't lose out on the features i'm using. I'll let you know how it goes
Gary

gstreet

Post by gstreet »

Benj

Both 64 and 32 bit labview can be installed from the same licence and run side by side on the same machine so one problem solved, However in the USB transfer (Subvi) the call library Function for ECIO_api.dll, has an error. Open and Close Calls are OK just transmit has the problem

The error reads "One or more required inputs to this function are not wired or are wired incorrectly".

(This error is true for all your downloadable labview example files)

However all the parameters are wired and all the wires are compatible data types, I found a parameter reference you posted for the dll and created a new vi with the same call but with the same error,
I found reference to it on the forum but no solution, can you advise on the likelihood of a resolution?

next step is to bite the bullet give up with ECIO's and try with NI VISA component instead

Regards
Gary

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Gary,

I don't currently have a license for Labview so I can't investigate this for you.

See if you can track down the cause of the error. Is there a new parameter or return that needs a wire connecting, maybe a new error node? Have a look at the nodes round the DLL call icon and see if there is anything unconnected that you can connect. You probably don't have to do anything with it as long as it's connected.

gstreet

Post by gstreet »

Benj

Error is generalised to the function call, all parameter wires are connected incl error node, all wire are of compatible data types (no wire errors) even removed the subvi and wired the function call into the main VI without success so I guess I've come to the end of this particular road

I was hoping to explore your labview examples for familiarity before engaging phase 2 of my application. Basic objective is use a PIC to collect a data array, upload the data to labview for torture with labview signal processing tools and report a probability match with a data library, so far the PIC part is done and working.

I understand a USB RAW functionality can be devised with NI VISA , so I'll take it up from here

Any advice on the VISA option would be gratefully received, in the meantime if a solution is found to the ECIO dll function call can you reach out to me

Regards Gary

gstreet

Post by gstreet »

Benj

Progress of sorts, NI Visa works well with serial component in FC6, For slave function I've discovered Labview doesn't like your ECIO dll call library 'string' data type parameter for 'Data_In ' within the USB_Transfer sub VI , replace 'string' for say 'array' I32 and place an array indicator on the output It works fine.
Knowing this I should be able to tailor the data and convert types for my application post transfer

I hope you and anybody else coming across the same issues will find this of use

Gary