anyone know what to do for external i/p or o/p v3board

For C and ASSEMBLY users to post questions and code snippets for programming in C and ASSEMBLY. And for any other C or ASM course related questions.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

phatali

anyone know what to do for external i/p or o/p v3board

Post by phatali »

hi
im new to programming and have just got a v3 board. im trying to attach an external switch on port A. i have some code that if i press sw4 on portA rb0 is activated and also a display on the lcd screen, but now i want an external switch to do this, anyone know what code is needed to allow me to do this. by the way at the moment im using a PIC16f88.

thnks in advance :D

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

You should be able to keep your code the same and just change the hardware to allow for the external switch. If you wire up your external switch as follows then the external switch will behaive like the switch on the board.

RA4---Switch---300R---+V

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

You can attach Ben's circuit to the RA4 screw terminal on the left side of the development board.

If you plan to use a switch in your own circuit (i.e. not using the dev board), then you will also need to provide a path to 0V for when the switch is not pressed (e.g. a 47k resistor between RA4 and ground).

phatali

Post by phatali »

thanks guys for the help, i shall have to try these out :D
cheers !