C for AVR E-blocks problem

For C and ASSEMBLY users to post questions and code snippets for programming in C and ASSEMBLY. And for any other C or ASM course related questions.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Lud

C for AVR E-blocks problem

Post by Lud »

I have been having problems with my C for AVR microcontrollers’ kit. I found that the switch board and LCD that came with the kit were not working correctly. When I compile and send to the microcontroller the code (hex file), the only board that seems to work is the LED board. Even though that the boards are connected in the correct ports and are not loose they don’t seem to work as they are supposed to. The LCD at least starts but it just displays blocks instead of characters. With the switch board, I pressed the buttons and nothing happens. I have verified almost everything I could do to troubleshoot. I browse through the forums, the faqs and the datasheets and tried all the recommendations but they didn’t work. That’s when I found that the board I have has a 20MhHZ crystal oscillator instead of the 11.056 MHz that it is specified in the data sheet and the programming course. Reading a part of the programming course I found that this causes problems (“Glitch city” section). I’m not entirely sure that this could be the problem but it is the only thing I haven’t tried. What can be done to fix this problem?

Thanks

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: C for AVR E-blocks problem

Post by Sean »

Hello,

Some more simple checks for the e-blocks:

Both the LCD and Switch e-blocks require a 5V supply to be wired from the EB019 board (+V OUT terminals) to their +V terminals

Can you confirm which version of the EB019 board you are using, and which chip is fitted:
EB019-00-1 or EB019-00-2
ATMEGA32 or ATMEGA324P

The correct target device must be independently selected for the AVR Studio project and the AVRISP mkII programmer.

I have downloaded Ex51 to an ATMEGA324P running at 20MHz and it produced the correct output on the LCD.