Custom Component Use

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 7.

Moderator: Benj

Docara

Custom Component Use

Post by Docara »

Hi

I have used the inbuilt 16x2 LCD display (EB006) and had to just reconfigure the pins to match use pre made module I have.

Now how do I save/export this 'new' component and then import it again so it can be chosen from the drop down - there's no 'Import Component' anywhere?

I have tried 'Export Component' from the File menu and tried copying into the component folder and restarted FC but nothing

Thanks
Matt

johnsondav

Re: Custom Component Use

Post by johnsondav »

Hi Matt

To which 'new' component do you refer?
Also, not sure which instruction you mean that requires you to 'Import Component'?

If you hace correctly created a new component, it is best saved to a directory location that FC7 can access using 'Global Options' settings. There is a wiki help available here:
http://www.matrixtsl.com/wikiv7/index.p ... irectories

I need more information as to the problem you are having.

Regards
Dave

Docara

Post by Docara »

Hi Dave,

I just want to use an included LCD Component (copied) but with my connections preconfigured ready to use. When I drag and drop onto the panel.

Matt

johnsondav

Post by johnsondav »

Hi Matt

If I have understood you correctly, I believe the method you are trying to implement is not possible with the included components.
Shown here is an included 16x2 LCD in a new project:
LCD1.jpg
(99.89 KiB) Downloaded 4168 times
All of the pins are 'unconnected. Therefore your are able to use any controller and connect the device by selecting an available port.
However, you are not able to use the 'Component Configuration' management as there is no base component used. Only these base components have all of the necessary macro's included/exposed that are required to control the device, not the finished included components that you are using.
That is why FC7 comes with a selection of base components that have all the controlling macros available to enable 'New' components to be designed/built.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Dave

Docara

Post by Docara »

Hi Dave,

Yes, I appreciate that the components are 'open ended' for flexibility s(thank gOD!!) Surely there must be a way of just saving 'my favourite' components or similar.

I am using an Arduino LCD shield which the pins are fixed so every time I use it I have to go in and configure the pins hence my question. I just want to save my custom LCD component

Matt

neeko

Post by neeko »

Hi Matt,

Did you ever get to any resolution on this topic? Seems to me like it should be possible too.

I'm wondering if it's possible to customise a component, and ideally even create new ones. Would make a lot of sense, just like you can create templates in 3D tools like Solidworks or Word etc..
Currently I want to use a component that is in Flowcode but only in it's previous version.. so in Flowcode there are less pins on the component than in real life... so I can't use it as is.

Anyway yes I'd be really interested to hear how you got on, or any tips you might have..

many thanks,
Nick

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

I thought this info would be useful so I have had a go at creating a wiki page.
https://www.matrixtsl.com/wiki/index.ph ... _Component

Hopefully all the info is there but let us know how you get on if you have a go. Applies to Flowcode 7.3 and Flowcode 8.

neeko

Post by neeko »

Hi Benj,

Many thanks for the great resource!

I've had many goes at this now but haven't managed it yet. Due to the fact that I don't fully understand what's going on of course.
I've also watched your YouTube video a million times, .. at least I think it's you?.. and I'm still getting lost in the process..

YouTube - Component Creation 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhvrwIL ... dex=4&t=0s

I'm very much a beginner with FC though so it's probably the reason I don't quite get it. However, I'll continue trying to understand the custom component method as it's quite a crucial thing to be able to do with FC I'd say. In theory opening it up to any component you can find I guess.. and therefore making it infinitely useful rather than limited to the existing library (extensive library though it is).

So yeah thanks again, and I'll report back if I get traction.

Nick

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Nick,

If you are a beginner it helps to create a number of flowcharts to master Flowcode basics before starting on creating components.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

I've been back to the wiki page and added screenshots to better explain the steps.

Hopefully these should help to explain what's going on.

However if you're still having problems then can you explain where you are getting stuck and I will see if I can help explain things.

I've also added a new page on creating components using a CAL to easily add comms or other common peripherals into your component.
https://www.matrixtsl.com/wiki/index.ph ... Components

neeko

Post by neeko »

Thanks kersing, you are right of course, I'm trying to go through as many exercises as I can but I keep coming back to the custom component exercise as I think I really need to understand it. But yes more practice is likely to help my understanding. So ya dank je wel !.

Thanks again Ben, and for the extra work you're putting into this topic! really great pages of resources. I'm needing to work my way through it all again now that you've put all that up. I'll go through it patiently and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm still on FC 7.3 but see from your note that it still applies as you have demonstrated.

cheers for that and all the best,
Nick