How to connect with Microchip Curiosity Board

An area to discuss 8-bit PIC specific problems and examples

Moderator: Benj

streborc

How to connect with Microchip Curiosity Board

Post by streborc »

I'm a newbie just getting started with FC7 and a Microchip Curiosity board. I'm able to create and assemble simple programs, but FC7 always gives the error "ERROR: Can not launch process: The system cannot find the path specified" when I attempt to install the code to the Curiosity board. This error occurs whether the board is plugged into my PC's USB port or not, so I'm concluding FC7 doesn't know where to find it. I've combed through all the Help, tutorial, and FC7 menus, but can't find anything that tells me how to tell FC7 how to connect to the Curiosity board. FC7 doesn't display any discovery message when I plug the board into the USB port, and I've tried having the board already present when launching FC7. Can someone tell me where in FC7 this is designated? BTW, even when I load the Curiosity board template with the simple switch/LED program, FC7 still can't find the board. Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: How to connect with Microchip Curiosity Board

Post by Benj »

Hello,

It looks like you need to install MPLABX from Microchip.com. Make sure you install the IPE software as part of the installation.

Once you have done this go to the "Flowcode 7\FCD\PIC" directory and copy the "Microchip Curiosity.fcdx" file to your desktop.

Open the file in a text editor such as notepad and right near the top of the file is this line of code.
<programmer exe="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v3.35\mplab_ipe\ipecmd.exe"
Change the v3.35 to match the version of MPLABX you installed.

Save the file and copy back to the "Flowcode 7\FCD\PIC" directory.

Restart Flowcode and then hopefully programming will work correctly.

streborc

Re: How to connect with Microchip Curiosity Board

Post by streborc »

Benj-
Many thanks for this info - it did the trick, and I would never have figured this out by myself. I did need to change the file's security settings in order to store the edited file, but once changed to "V3.65", the code installation to the Curiosity board worked. Before receiving your reply, I had been able to install the FC7 generated *.hex file to the Curiosity board using MPLAB IPE, and so I had confirmed my PC's connectivity to the board. But I'm glad to have the 1-step compile/install facility working. After a bit more code experimentation, I plan to purchase a FC7 license.