ECIO28 Help Please - Why So Slow Please?

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Sparkoids

ECIO28 Help Please - Why So Slow Please?

Post by Sparkoids »

I have a problem here where my circuit needs to output a '1' to a relay to switch it on as it's first instruction on my Flowchart but even with a 4Mhz crystal fitted on the ECIO28 it takes an age to initialise turn on the relay.

Is this because the ECIO has a program (bootloader?) that has to boot first and with the PIC I want to use,a PIC18F13K50 I shouldn't face this issue?

I have never required a circuit to perform an action so quickly but as part of the circuit it is mission critical and although I could use a magnetic latching relay (which I have also prototyped) my EB006 board is at work and I have run into this problem on my Mac desktop at home.

So HELP please if you can!

James Dexter :-}

Enamul

Re: ECIO28 Help Please - Why So Slow Please?

Post by Enamul »

I have a problem here where my circuit needs to output a '1' to a relay to switch it on as it's first instruction on my Flowchart but even with a 4Mhz crystal fitted on the ECIO28 it takes an age to initialise turn on the relay.
Although it fitted with 4MHz, but chip runs at 48MHz..so speed is not an issue probably in your case..

Here is a simple LED flasher using ECIO-28. Can you please try that whether that on/off every sec or not? If it performs fine..then something might be wrong in your code. But if doesn't run normal rather slow in that case program in not writing OK in ECIO-28 which might be due to Anitvirus or OS issue.
Attachments
ECIO_28.fcf
(7 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

Hi Enamul,

I can try it on Monday but think it is something to do with the bootloader because the LED flashes etc before it executes the first instruction to send out the '1'....

Thanks for your reply at the weekend!

Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

Oh and it's in the hardware that it doesn't run... I use Flowcode with a Mac so no anti-virus needed...

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

You mean this simple LED flasher doesn't work which means problem is in hardware..might not programming or your ECIO-28 might get damaged some how.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

No I'm going to test it on Monday at work Enamul!

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Sparkoids wrote:Is this because the ECIO has a program (bootloader?) that has to boot first and with the PIC I want to use,a PIC18F13K50 I shouldn't face this issue?
The bootloader could very well be your problem. If the ECIO is powered by USB the bootloader will start first and try to connect to the USB bus to enable upload of new code, introducing a couple of seconds delay. Using external power and disconnecting USB should solve this.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

I'm going on the bootloader as well but will try it Monday and let you know.....

Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

Works instantly from external power!

The reassuring sound of the relay clicking on and off is perfect ;-}