Ver 2 board

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

goldwingers

Ver 2 board

Post by goldwingers »

Well here goes, Have a normal PC whith which ver 2 board works ok on, now the prob...I want to run it on my laptop, So have purchased a PCM parallel port and all I get is the screen of DOOM...........says Mpasm ICE to blame... any ideas. Like most others paid a lot of money for my Ver 2 board, happy with it but not its fault

Ian

Post by Ian »

The problem is with PC port voltages.

The voltages levels have been dropping, which leads to a point where the PIC board has problems with understanding the signals. Printers and such like get around this somehow, but the PICboard cannot. This is a particualr problem on laptops as they tend to go for really low power outputs where ever they can.

Add on PCM parllel ports and parallel to USB port cards often presume an intelligent peripheral at the other end that they can communicate with via the drivers. The PICboard however is based on direct signals without driver go betweens and is less able to cope with such systems.

In addition the use of USB has made most of the older ports redundant.
So newer laptops and PCs may no longer have the parallel port.

Sadly, after explaining the problem, we don't have much in the way of a remedy for the V2 boards.

Contact me via the support email adress with details of availble options and settings for the PCM card and I can maybe offer a bit of advice on settings etc., that could maybe help.

goldwingers

Post by goldwingers »

Hi Ian, thanks for the info, however i feel it has something to do with MPlab ICE program

1. Try to load mplab, it comes up with no printer port and cancels the load.

2. Insert PCM card Try loading up MPLab again, and it sees the printer port (WITH NO PRINTER ATTACHED) and then loads.

3. Start flowcode, load in project and it runs on the laptop.

4. Go to assemble the flowcode to a file and get an error message stating that most of the commands are not available and will not create the ASM file...

5. turn off flowcode, and computer, turn back on and the screen of doom appears. saying MPLab ICE has halted the process.

6 I have to then go into safe mode, delete all MPLab files and everything is fine.

7 Looks like its some form of conflict on the bus to me. So i shall have to stick with my big machine - shame.