Help Please -> Programming Failed: <config 1>

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

bo

Help Please -> Programming Failed: <config 1>

Post by bo »

Hi,

I am using an HP488 v3 board with a 16F88 PIC. I am running through the tutorials on the C for PICmicro microcontrollers V3 cd. I am able to get the programs to compile and assemble, but when I try to program the PIC, it goes to the end of the process and gives me the message:

Programming Failed: <config 1>.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? Thanks,

Bo

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

This happens when you try to send configuration data that cannot be set in that particular PICmicro. For example, one of the config bits may not be used and always read as '0' - if you try to set this bit to '1', then PPP will read back a '0' and think the config word setting has failed.

The most common reason for this happening is that you are attempting to disable the LVP (low voltage programming) setting of the '88 chip, but are using a 5V power supply (via the USB lead). PICmicros will only let you disable the LVP setting if you use a 13V power supply - because once LVP is disabled, the only way to program the chip would be to apply 13V again.

Either way, you program should run ok and you can ignore this error. If your program is not behaving itself, it could be you are using B3 as an i/o line - this pin is reserved as the PGM pin when LVP is enabled and cannot be used as a general i/o line.