Dev Board V2 test program

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

logan

Dev Board V2 test program

Post by logan »

Hi,
can someone please help with the hex file test program for the Dev board v2, using a PIC16f84A.

Also I am having trouble programming a pic16F88. I continually receive the message "programming failed". I have tried several chips incase 1 might be damaged and the same thing occurs. I am using the lastest version of ppp software. Is there any specific config settings that I need to use.

I have attached the hex file. If someone can please try to program a pic16f88 with the attached file and let me know if you were successful.

many thanks for your help.

Logan
Attachments
TurboTimer.HEX
hex file for a pic16f88
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 247 times

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: Dev Board V2 test program

Post by Steve »

Your configuration data enables the "code protection" feature of the device, which means that all program memory locations are read back as zero (which is why the programmer application thinks the programming has failed). It is likely that the programming has been successful.

If you do not need to have code protection enabled, I suggest you turn it off.

logan

Post by logan »

Hi Steve,
I have disabled code protection but the message still appears. I have attached my config page. Also is there any download on the Matrix website to download the test program for the dev board v2.

thanks
Logan
Attachments
config.doc
(75 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Logan

I have tested your hex file on a V2 dev board here with a range of 16F88 chips and been unable to successfully program the PICmicro. Please could you tell me which compiler the source code is using. Also are you sure that you have configured the compiler for the correct chip? I compared the hex file with a hex file read back from a device and they look completley different which is suggesting that something isn't quite right here. I have attached a test file for the 16F88 which should run correctly on your dev board.

Let me know how you get on.
Attachments
F88-Xtal-V2Dev.hex
(615 Bytes) Downloaded 248 times

logan

Post by logan »

Hi Benj,
will test the file that you sent and let you know. I didnt compile the hex file, I downloaded it from siliconchip.com for a project. The ASM file is also available. the website address is http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/attac ... nth=August. It is for the Adaptive turbo timer project.

thanks for your help
Logan

logan

Post by logan »

Hi Benj,
I have programmed the file you gave and when I read it back from the chip, it was the same as the original. The only problem is that i still get the "programming failed" error as per attachment. Why is this and how can i fix it.

thanks
Logan
Attachments
failed.doc
(27.5 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Make sure that in the PPPv3 options screen you have "Ignore HEX fuse data" unchecked.

logan

Post by logan »

Hi,
I have checked that this is correct but I still receive the same message. I have attached another file with my config settings. I hope we can get this resolved.

thanks
Logan
Attachments
error2.doc
(70 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Do you get this error with both the 84a and the 88 chips? Does the program seem to run once it has been downloaded?

It could be that the v2 board is broken. I presume you have had it for many years because we stopped manufacturing it about 4 or 5 years ago.

logan

Post by logan »

Hi, yes it also does it for the 84A. I had this board a few years, but it was not used. It was pack away in the original casing. I needed to program the 16f88 and so decided to try it now. The program also doesnt do anything. Is there a test program for this board to determine if this board is the problem.

thanks
Logan

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

There is no specific test to find out if the board has failed. However, it may not be a problem with the board...

The v2 board uses the parallel port to program the chip. The parallel port on some PCs may be configured in a way that prevents the reprogramming. For example, the BIOS settings could be inappropriate, or the voltage supplied by the LPT prot might not be strong enough (this is a problem with some laptops). If you have access to another PC, then I suggest you try that one.

If not (or if the same problem exists on both PCs), you could try experimenting with different settings for the parallel port in the PC's BIOS. Unfortunately it is so long ago that I had to do this so I'm not sure exactly which setting is required. You should try altering the modes to "ECP" or "EPP" (I'm pretty sure that "SPP" will not work).