Opening flowcode Files

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

DannyBerry

Opening flowcode Files

Post by DannyBerry »

I am new to flowcode..still working off the demo mode. My question is : I have a friend that's doing the same and he created .fcf file and sent it to me but it want let me open it. He can open it on his end.

Thanks,
Danny

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Opening flowcode Files

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Danny
This could be down to one of the following (but not limited to)

1) Are you both running the same version of flowcode. You cannot open for example a flowchart created on FC4 with FC3

2.) Are you both using flowcode for the same type processor, i.e pic.
For example if you have the pic version and your friend has the AVR, you have to use import rather than open.

3.) If your friend has a full pro version, it could be the flowchart he has created exceeds the size of what you can open in the demo version.
if I remember its quite small something like 16 icons
The demo also is limited in what components and devices it supports, but this limation is mainly on compiling to the hardware, you can normally still see them on screen.

The easist wasy is, If the flowchart is not sensitive you could post it here and someone will have a look and try to open it. Then you can be advised what the problem is.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

DannyBerry

Post by DannyBerry »

JohnCrow wrote:The easist wasy is, If the flowchart is not sensitive you could post it here and someone will have a look and try to open it. Then you can be advised what the problem is.
We both have the PICKit 2 with the pic16f690 chip.

Thanks,

John
Attachments
basic pulsewidth driver.fcf
(4.5 KiB) Downloaded 342 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Danny,
Posted file opens OK with Flowcode V4.5.18.74
I agree with what John says (option 1)
I'm guessing Your opening file with a version that's lower than V4.5.18.74?
If run Flowcode and in the help menu select about. What version have you got?
When you try to open the file do you get a message stating 'The file you are loading was made by a newer version' blah blah etc?

Martin
Martin

DannyBerry

Post by DannyBerry »

I'm guessing Your opening file with a version that's lower than V4.5.18.74?
If run Flowcode and in the help menu select about. What version have you got?
When you try to open the file do you get a message stating 'The file you are loading was made by a newer version' blah blah etc?

Yep that's it.

Flowcode v4.4.13.69
Copyright © 2001 - 2010, Matrix Multimedia Ltd.
is what the domo I'm running shows

No I did not get the message stated above..it just said access denied..bla,bla,bla

..My guess is you only get the 4.5 upon ordering the paid version ....which my friend must have..or I downloaded the wrong demo version..maybe?

It appears that there are some freebes listed on the web site as old version 4.3 ?

Thanks,
Danny

brandonb

Post by brandonb »

we had another problem, i bought the pro but am currently using free til it shows up, is this limited to one file thats able to be downloaded to the pic, first file runs on pic fine, if i modify it it works great, but if i create a new file it simulates fine and appears to download to the pic16f690 fine but the output led on the developement board only stays on, it actually when checked with a picoscope is oscilating in the khz range, what do you think the issue is here?

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

@Danny Flowcode v4.4 was only released for the dsPIC (16bit PICs) it sounds like you downloaded the wrong version!

@brandonb The Flowcode free version does not limit you to downloading just one program, there are many limitations on it but you should be able to make as many programs as you want within those limitations, Im not sure however if the 16f690 is supported by the free version so that could be why it does not download properly.

brandonb

Post by brandonb »

the reason why my pic wasnt doing what the program said is that i forgot to set the clock speed on the simulations after the first one which i set to 4meg the other ones i didnt change which defaulted to 16meg which is above what the 690 can do

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

It says in the device datasheet that the 16F690 can run at speeds up to 20MHz. Flowcode should not let you enter a non compatible clock speed in the project options window.