New Component Request (PCF8575 16Bit IO Extender)

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

karthickefy

New Component Request (PCF8575 16Bit IO Extender)

Post by karthickefy »

Hi Ben,
Can you please help to add PCF8575 16Bit IO Extender Chip in Flowcode 8 Components list? Thanks

Karthick.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: New Component Request (PCF8575 16Bit IO Extender)

Post by QMESAR »

Hi
You can easily add your own component here is a link to a post which includes a wiki page how to use the
existing cal components to make your own components.

http://www.matrixtsl.com/mmforums/viewt ... 63&t=19128
This PCF8575 uses I2C just use the I2C cal component with the device datasheet and follow the wiki.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Karthick,

The 8575 was very similar to the 8574 so I have now added a new component via the v8 update feature.

QMESAR's post is helpful though should you want to have a go at creating components yourself.

Docara

Post by Docara »

Hi Ben,

Can these be made available for v7 as well please

Thanks
Matt

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Matt,

v7 is still officially under support so reported bugs will likely be fixed, however I'm afraid v7 will likely not receive any new features such as new components.

The component is very simple so it's probably possible for you to create a v7 component or set of I2C macros to enable the functionality.

In v8 we did a lot of work to ensure component creation was significantly easier, so making new v8 components is now fairly painless. Doing the same component in v7 is significantly more work.

Also you have to consider that we don't just have to create the component, we also have to document it, provide examples and if it goes wrong provide support. All of this comes at a cost.

Docara

Post by Docara »

Hi Ben,

Sorry bud but I think that's unfair and unreasonable.

I called your office yesterday only to have v8 pushed down my throat. Now you're doing the same - I'm not impressed
Also you have to consider that we don't just have to create the component, we also have to document it, provide examples and if it goes wrong provide support. All of this comes at a cost.
Whilst that is a fair statement in principle, Matrix's record for supplying documentary support is not good - Matrix supplied me v7 with NO documentation. You have already created the component and the 'documentation' and, as you stated, you are still supporting v7 so what's the difference? When you officially pull the plug on v7 support you will have a valid argument.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Flowcode v7 help available here.
https://www.matrixtsl.com/wikiv7/index. ... =Main_Page
I called your office yesterday only to have v8 pushed down my throat. Now you're doing the same - I'm not impressed
I'm sorry you feel this way. I also find it hard to believe that our sales team would do that to you.

All I'm saying is that I cannot create new content for v7. If you want to have a go using v7 then I can help you if you get stuck.

karthickefy

Post by karthickefy »

Hi Ben,
I have tested the PCF8574 Chip and it is working fine. Can you please help to add the Read/Write Port Pin (Control the Pin's individually similar like MCP23x17) option for both PCF8574 and PCF8575 IO extenders? it will be more useful for us. Thanks.

Karthick.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Karthick,

The PCF chips don't seem to have a data direction register like the MCP23x17 devices.

From looking at the datasheet it appears you can only configure all pins as input or all pins as output.

I could be wrong on this but I spent a bit of time reading through the datasheet and couldn't find any mention of how to do it.