Question about Flowcode chip license: Arduino vs ARM

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

dmann

Question about Flowcode chip license: Arduino vs ARM

Post by dmann »

Hello, I'd like to purchase a license to run code on Arduino hardware. I understand that I could buy some AVR chips and burn the Arduino bootloader on them. My confusion is about the two Flowcode chip licenses; do I really need to buy both licences or do I get a discount if I buy both AVR and Arduino? I'm not sure which direction to go.

I currently have PIC 8 and Raspberry PI licenses. I would like to get another license for PIC32 and ARM someday.

I understand that the more licenses I have, the larger the upgrade license cost will be. Does it make sense to just get the AVR license and blow away the arduino bootloader when programming? I have a Pickit 4 and I believe support for AVR programming is forthcoming.

Dan

dmann

Re: Question about Flowcode chip license: Arduino vs ARM

Post by dmann »

Anyone have any thoughts? Does the Arduino chip pack get me anything over and above the AVR chip pack? It just seems like the AVR chip pack would be more flexible than the Arduino chip pack.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The AVR chip pack requires a programming tool such as the usb tiny. The Arduino chip pack is aimed at programing via the bootloader.

If you think you may use the chips in the future over an Arduino board then yes the AVR chip pack would make more sense, has more available target devices and will allow you to program Arduino devices too. Though the initial setup maybe slightly more tricky. E.g. you have additional config settings to consider.

You can always buy additional chip packs in the future should you find you need them.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

dmann wrote:I understand that the more licenses I have, the larger the upgrade license cost will be.Dan
When it comes to upgrading, you are not forced to upgrade very aspect of Flowcode. So it would only be more expensive if you chose to upgrade all of your features and chip-packs.