Help with APA102 - SPI (Legacy/Master)

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

beneee

Help with APA102 - SPI (Legacy/Master)

Post by beneee »

I am mid way through moving a project from FC5 - 8 and always used to use the FC5 SPI Legacy to send data to the LEDs, I can't find this on FC8 so I am using the SPI Master but can only seem to get the LEDs to light up blue despite being identical to the FC5 file.

I have tried using the built in APA102C part but I can only move about a 1/3 of the program across before the chip fills up so I am guessing there is some sort of issue with the way the compiler works in the new version which makes it way more inefficient than the FC5 one, bit annoyed about that actually as i have spent a lot of money on this software.

Can anyone see what I have done wrong with this file please.

Ta
Ben
SPI.PNG
(72.37 KiB) Downloaded 838 times
APA102 - send SPI.fcfx
(11.43 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Help with APA102 - SPI (Legacy/Master)

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The APA102 devices are supported with a component in Flowcode 8.
APA102.png
(19.67 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
For the SPI problem, check your component properties, specifically pin connections and bus settings are the same as in the v5 program.

beneee

Post by beneee »

Thanks Benj but unfortunately as I need to control 80 LEDs and with a very basic program with a few different patterns the Chip 16F1937 is at 98.2% and I am not even half way through my project, doing EXACTLY the same thing manually with the SPI master and a Multi dimensional array to hold the LED data so I am at about 25% usage.

If i had known that the compiler was going to be such a problem I would have saved the £000's and stuck with V5, I've had V8 for a few months now and I am really disappointed I was not made aware of this and matrix have stuck this on their loyal customers, whats the refund policy as I am not willing to pay another £28 a month for the Pro version of the compiler.

Ben

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Sorry you feel disappointed, but do you really need the pro version of the XC8 compiler?

We find that most of our users are just fine using the standard free version and most are positive about the transition away from BoostC to XC8. There are obviously pros and cons as with most situations but in this case we strongly felt that the pros vastly outweighed the cons.

If you want to try and get a refund then it's probably best to contact our sales team via our contact page.
https://www.matrixtsl.com/contact/
doing EXACTLY the same thing manually with the SPI master and a Multi dimensional array to hold the LED data so I am at about 25% usage.
This seems odd, are you sure you're doing the exact same thing? Are you buffering the colour of every LED like the component will be doing or are you vastly simplifying and setting all LEDs to the same colour? Can you post both programs side by side so we can compare.