Interrupts

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

Smartmultienergy

Interrupts

Post by Smartmultienergy »

Hi, using 18 series pic with rising edge interrupt configured on RB1 / INT1 pin. The simulation is perfect but testing on hardware the count is incremented both on the rising and falling edges, the pin is tied high with 10k and brought low with external reed switch, any suggestions welcomed. Thanks, Gary.
Attachments
FC8.fcfx
(26.67 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Interrupts

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I've had a quick look at your program.

First thing is that I see you have the Interrupt Enable within what is in effect your main loop. The Interrupt Enable generally is called before the Main Loop however that is not your issue. Instead I think it is possibly due to switch bounce.

When a switch or relay closes it does not do so cleanly, instead it makes and breaks many times over a few milliseconds. Microcontrollers don't see that closure as a single event, instead they see each "bounce" as a valid change of state.

There are many ways to debounce a switch and a search in this forum will provide many examples. I would also, as the very first step in your Interrupt routine (Pulse_Count), disable the interrupt then process as necessary (perhaps including a delay of x-mS to allow switch to settle) and then before leaving your routine re-enable the Interrupt.

Hope this helps.
Regards

Smartmultienergy

Post by Smartmultienergy »

Hi, ok great, delay in interrupt routine seems to do most of the trick, David from Matrix also suggested using a small cap on the input line, will add soon and recheck, much appreciated :)

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

As I eluded to there are many ways to skin a cat :)

If you are going to rely on a delay in your IHR then I would suggest the following steps inside your routine

Disable Int1
Increment counter
Delay 50mS (to allow switch to settle and can be increased if required)
Enable Int1

Hope this helps
Regards