Program!

Moderator: Benj

jgu1

Program!

Post by jgu1 »

Hi All!

After installing FC8 and all toolchain FC8 seem to work. Then I was opening a FC7 to continiue and want to finish a project wich I have started with FC7 (beforeFC8) where I use an Arduino Nano 328 I am now not able to program the chip Get Error 1? I can see the dedicated port in config.
Then I tryed wit some of my other Arduino project from FC7, its the same.. and they worked earlyer??
Before FC8 there was no problem.

Hope someone can guide me.

Br Jorgen
Attachments
Erik V1,02.msg.txt
(2.15 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Erik V1,02.fcfx
(26.9 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

dazz

Re: Program!

Post by dazz »

Hi
I just tried your flowchart in 8 then 7 and had the same issue, not sure why it does it however ,i found if i compile in 8 then for some reason it changes the default compiler settings in 7,
A quick workaround is to open the compiler settings in 7 set the default compiler to what it was then recompile and it should work.
Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Dazz!

Thank you for testing and help. Yes exactly. But how do we switch bag again, and If possible, will FC8 do it again.One more thing, If I open or import programs into FC8 from FC7 and try to compile to chip, I get lot of errors and it Will not compile.?..

There migth be some bugs. Hopefully MM Will fix it.

Br Jorgen

mnf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mnf »

Hi Jorgen,

Tried - and no problem programming the nano for me? It would be a bit of a disaster if there was an issue with it (and at least 3 beta-testers would need to be sat on the naughty step?)

Driver issue ? (I have cheapo nano boards with CH340 interface) - might be worth a restart too? I've occasionally had trouble with FC7 in a similar vein - usually requires a restart of the PC (and the Arduinos)

Martin

dazz

Post by dazz »

Hi
Just tried something else which will program your flowchart in fc8 and also program in fc7
open compiler options in FC8 click the disk icon(save),call rename it say dave or something ,then tick set as default ,then click save.
check it works by programming your arduino, if it works close fc8.

open the flowchart in FC7 do the same but use a different name for the compiler ,program yto your arduino and all should be well.
so the same file should compile in both 7 and 8.

Note this is just a quick and dirty workaround to get you up and running

I'm not sure why your getting errors it seems ok here opening FC7 files in FC8, i have just created a basic lcd sketch in FC7 programmed ,then opened in FC8 with no issues with components or errors.
However if i open a file i created in FC8 ,using FC7 then i have to reselect the chip as they are named different.
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

dazz

Post by dazz »

mnf wrote:Hi Jorgen,

Tried - and no problem programming the nano for me? It would be a bit of a disaster if there was an issue with it (and at least 3 beta-testers would need to be sat on the naughty step?)

Driver issue ? (I have cheapo nano boards with CH340 interface) - might be worth a restart too? I've occasionally had trouble with FC7 in a similar vein - usually requires a restart of the PC (and the Arduinos)

Martin

Hi Martin
If your having trouble with the ch430 /431 boards try installing the drivers again(use latest version) , i have found some of those drivers corrupt occasionally and require a reinstall ,there is an .EXE file for those drivers which makes it easy to install.

I bought a 10 pack of cheap nano's but got the 168 boards by mistake :lol:

Regards
Dazz

mnf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mnf »

Hi Dazz,
If your having trouble with the ch430 /431 boards try installing the drivers again(use latest version)
No - working well (under FC8 and FC7) for me - Jorgen's program uploaded without a hitch....
(The official driver is at http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_EXE.html)
no problem programming the nano
Martin

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Dazz and Martin!

Thank you. But it doesn´t help. It strange it work by someone and not on other. Hopefully MM team can explain.

Br Jorgen

mnf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mnf »

Definitely something amiss.... May or may not be connected to the above problem - I just 'transferred' a program (by changing target and port) that works perfectly on a Nano to a Uno.. It fails to run (although it does upload). Now I can't get any joy from the Uno using Flowcode at all (so a simple 'Hello World' program fails to produce any output)

The Uno works fine - tested from the ArduinoIDE...

Works from Flowcode v7 too.
hw.png
(13.9 KiB) Downloaded 3875 times
(Hardly worth posting the code..) This gives no output from a Uno under FC8 (and works as expected if I target a Nano instead or use FC7.)

While fiddling with this - I notice that error code 1 means that AVR dude can't open the USB port - do you have putty or anything else that may have it open... A full reboot (Windows and the Arduinos should fix this??)

Edit:
I fixed the Uno problem - for some reason FlowControl was set to On by default in the UART properties... Why this doesn't seem to affect the Nano (and it's Off by default in v7) - I don't know....

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Martin!

FC7:
I have tried to install this CH341 again and again, no help. I do not know, but I don´t think it's the problem for when I look in config, I can see the device is connected. I have also restarted several times, it does not help.

FC8:
I also have several programs that I have either imported or just opened from (Arduino) FC7 in FC8, I can open but when I compile I get lot of errors?

Sadly, all of this I feared before upgrading to FC8 but hoped not : viewtopic.php?f=76&t=20077

Hope MM can fix it.

Br Jorgen

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

There are some hints here on solving problems moving projects from v7 into v8.
https://www.matrixtsl.com/wiki/index.ph ... ting_to_V8

A v7 project opened in v8 and saved will likely not work again in v7 so you have to be careful here. I would recommend making backups of your project files so you can go back if you need to.

v8 should not effect v7 compiler options in any way. I am running both here and have not seen this problem. If you can post specifics of this happening then we would be very interested.

For any specific ongoing problems you can't solve with the hints above then please let us know and we can investigate.

Martin - Flowcontrol is now off by default in the latest UART component.

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Ben!

Thank`s,

Concerning opening FC7 project in FC8, ok I can see that i have to check all component, pin, ect. I Will try again :D

Yes FC7 and after Install FC8, I can open all my `old` FC7 in FC 7 and I see which USB port I use in the config. But I get error 1 when I try to program. You can see the massage I att. in start of this tread.
And also even If I try to create a new project. It Will not program the Arduino.

I am agree with you, I could`n imagine that FC8 has influence on FC7, But something is happening after Install FC8?

Please advice.

Jorgen

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Jorgen,
And also even If I try to create a new project. It Will not program the Arduino.
So the problem is programming the Arduino, could anything else be holding the COM port open? Maybe even a crashed version of AVRdude or the Terminal in the Arduino IDE? Might be worth unplugging and replugging the Arduino twice just before you program it and this could point to something else holding onto the port. If you do the unplug and replug only once then the port will still remain locked due to Windows. I have a COM port based 3D printer and so have become quite familiar with the quirks that COM ports present in modern Windows.

If you can spot anything specific broken with your v7 setup then we can investigate for you but as I say I have been using v7 and v8 alongside each other for a good few months now with nothing too serious to report.

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Ben!

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Now I made a test FC7 on my other laptob.Create a new program. Exactly the same problem, not able to program the Arduino, everything work before FC8? I am not able to program new or old program.
Try to do your advice connect, disconnect the Arduino I can hear the Windows pling. I have nothing else connected.

I was looking in the msg file for compiler, saw this: avrdude.exe:"invalid file format '\FLOWCO~1\FORSG~1\NoanoSlet.hex' in update specifier"

I am wondering "invalid fileformat"

And again Ben, FC7 work perfect on both laptob before FC8.

COULd it be an idea to reinstall FC7, if yes, how many of the updates do I have to correct after update?

If I create the same program in FC8 I can program the Arduino, prefect

Please
Jorgen
Attachments
NoanoSlet.msg.txt
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Device.PNG
(45.17 KiB) Downloaded 3803 times
Devi.PNG
(7.88 KiB) Downloaded 3803 times

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

I was looking in the msg file for compiler, saw this: avrdude.exe:"invalid file format '\FLOWCO~1\FORSG~1\NoanoSlet.hex' in update specifier"
I am wondering "invalid fileformat"
Could you please try the attached updated file, to go into your C:\Program Files (x86)\Flowcode 7\compilers\avr\batchfiles\ directory
If this does not fix the issue, please post the msg.txt file
Attachments
avrc_arduinoA.bat
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Leigh!

Follow your guide, and yes I can compile Arduino again (anyway on the one of the labtop) So far so good :D

Something migth have destroyed this file And on 2 PC.. I dont hope I also have problem with Pic devices.

I will check on the other Pc when I come home from work.

But anyway, do you have any idea what happen?

Thank´s.

Br Jorgen

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

It seems that Avrdude now needs a hint about the (hex) file format, so I've added this to the batch file.
I've not had chance to investigate why this is now the case.

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Thank you Leigh. Hopefully No more files is damaged.

Br. Jorgen

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Leigh!

I have now copyed your new file on all my laptop´s. With test on a Arduino Nano 328 I am now able to program the chip again In FC7

Also tested in FC8 work´s. :D

Make test later with other Arduino.

Thank you

Br Jorgen