HP488 LCD

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

rmaggott

HP488 LCD

Post by rmaggott »

Hello,

I'm new to using the PIC processor. I have just purchased the HP488 V3 board to get started on this chip. I have previous experience with the Renesas processors.

I was just wondering, is there a manual for this board as I have not received anything useful with the board. I am struggling to get the LCD working, I have set it up and everything, but the commands don't seem to go to the LCD, the LEDs at the corresponding ports do however light up. I'm not sure how the jumpers are meant to be set either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Ryan

dazz

Re: HP488 LCD

Post by dazz »

To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi
The documentation for for the board can be downloaded from here

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/product ... PHPSESSID=

There are 2 switchs near the LCD
One is to turn on the lcd the other the 7seg LED. You can only have 1 on at a time as they share port b

The row 4 jumpers near these switches are normally set to the right. the top 2 are to enable analogue input for the potentiometer and the Light Dependant Resistor.
All the jumpers and setting are well explained in the data sheet.

Come back if you still are not clear on anything. Some one will be able to give you an answer.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

rmaggott

Post by rmaggott »

Thanks guys for the responses.

After looking around some more I managed to find a solution to the problem at hand. It turns out that you have to use 4-bit mode to initialise the LCD as well. This is not the same as using 8-bit mode to initialise the LCD. The examples that I saw, and tutorials that I read never mentioned this.

Thanks for the trouble.
Regards,
Ryan

aazmi1

Post by aazmi1 »

hello

I am having problem in HP-488 board programming with LCD. This is not the same as using 8-bit mode to initialise the LCD.We can use only 4-bits.How to send MSB and then LSB using c-programming.LVP is not applicable when working on LCD
Thanks in advane

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Why not download the demo version of Flowcode. You will be up and running with your display in minutes. Also if you choose not to use Flowcode then you can always have a look at the C code it is producing to drive the display.