Using a different programmer.

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 5.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 5 or higher.

Moderator: Benj

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Using a different programmer.

Post by medelec35 »

Hi
I’m trying to get Flowcode V5 to program target device via ASIX PRESTO programmer.
This is command line I’m trying out:

Parameters:
/part%p /erase /o /"p%f.hex" /"verify%f.hex"

Just get this:
prog error1.png
(32.98 KiB) Downloaded 3946 times
This is command line information:

Code: Select all

4.6 Using UP from the command line
The program itself ensures to be run in a single instance. If there is another instance being run, the command line 
parameters are handed over to the already running instance to be executed.
Parameter overview
up.exe [{/ask | /q}] [{/e eeprom_file.hex | [/noe]}] [{/p | [/pdiff] | [/o]} 
file.hex | file.ppr] [/part part_name] [/erase] [/w[nd] up_window_class] [/cfg] 
[/devid]  [/blank] [/verify file] [/s programmer_SN] [/progname name]
Legend:
The text in bold is to be put on the command line as is.
The text in italic is to be replaced by real parameter, e.g. file_name is to be replaced by real name of the file to be 
opened. 
Text in curly brackets separated by | (pipes) represents a single choice from the listed items. e.g. { A | B } means 
"choose just one of A or B".
Text in [braces] represents optional parameter which can be used, but can also be omitted. 
• /ask Ask. To be used with /p. If the parameter is used, the program always prompts the user whether to 
program the part, even if this was disabled in the Settings of the program. The confirmation dialog also shows 
selected part type. 
• /q /quiet Quiet mode. In this mode the program does not require any user intervention, but rather silently 
returns to an error code instead of displaying a dialog. See Return error codes. 
• /e file EEPROM file. Name of a file containing EEPROM data. If the name contains spaces, it is necessary to 
enclose it by quotes. This parameter can be used together with /o or /p parameter only. 
• /noe No EEPROM. Causes the program to skip EEPROM programming (and all operations with EEPROM). If 
used with the MSP430 devices, the program skip all operations with the information memory.
• /p file Program. Programs given file to code memory. If the name contains spaces, it is necessary to enclose it 
Programmers by ASIX   
by quotes. (device is erased, code, data, cfg (and ID) memory is programmed and verified.) 
• /pdiff file - Program differentially. Programs given file. If the name contains spaces, it is necessary to enclose 
it by quotes. 
• /o file Open. File with given name will be opened. Optional parameter. If the name contains spaces, it is 
necessary to enclose it by quotes. 
• /eeonly - The programmer will do the selected operation for EEPROM memory only, with MSP430 for 
Information memory only.
• /part name Selects the specified part in the UP.
• /erase The part will be erased.
• /wnd class name Select another window class name. Using this parameter you can open more than one 
instance of program UP. Each instance must have unique window class name.
• /cfg If this parameter is used together with /p parameter, only configuration memory is programmed. It's useful 
for example for AVR devices programming, because the user can configure the chip for faster oscillator first 
and then to program it much faster. 
• /devid If this parameter is used together with /p parameter, only the Device ID of the chip is checked.
• /blank Program will check if the chip is blank, it will return an error code in accordance with the result.
• /verify file Does the part verification.
• /s programmer_SN - This parameter allows to select the programmer in accordance with its serial number. 
The serial number can be entered as it is displayed in the UP or printed on the programmer, e.g.016709 or 
A6016709.
• /progname name - This parameter allows to select the programmer type in accordance with its name, e.g. 
PRESTO or FORTE.
When working on several different projects it is likely that the program is set to use a part or programmer other than the 
one the user assumed. In such case using project files (.PPR), which contain all necessary settings including the file 
path, is strongly recommended. 
Note: Examples, how to use UP from the command line can be found in the UP installation directory in files 
“read_avr_eeprom.bat“ and “set_idle_power_1.bat“ . 
Opening a file
up.exe file name 
up.exe file.hex
up.exe "C:\My Documents\Recent Projects\PIC\My latest project\flasher.hex" 
Programming the part
up.exe /p file name 
up.exe /p file.hex
up.exe /p "C:\My Documents\Recent Projects\PIC\My latest project\flasher.hex"
Any help, pointers etc. are appreciated

Thanks

Martin
Martin

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Re: Using a different programmer.

Post by DavidA »

Dont know if this will help but a space between the diufferent sections:

/part %p /erase /o /"p %f.hex" /"verify %f.hex"

Also might want to not post the info in a code box, as it removes some of the text formatting, so its hard to tell these points:

The text in bold is to be put on the command line as is.
The text in italic is to be replaced by real parameter, e.g. file_name is to be replaced by real name of the file to be
opened.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Sorry David,
I agree with what your saying.
Unfortunately correct spaces are not shown on the forums,
and I did not take that into account.
So this is how I originally set up parameters:
Actual settings.png
(55.56 KiB) Downloaded 3940 times
I did paste what you posted, but still the same.

since file size of pdf is too big to post,
this is the link:
http://tools.asix.net/download/programm ... ers_en.pdf

Thanks

Martin
Martin

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

I believe the issue is caused by VPP not being raised when it should be.
I could not see anything in the help file regarding this. Im guessing it could be in LVP mode as standard, and perhaps there is a command to enable HVP mode?
Help File.png
(161.75 KiB) Downloaded 1367 times
Martin
Martin

dazz

Post by dazz »

not sure if this will help

try /part /erase /p "whatever.hex" /verify

drop the /o option

i looked at the help files (sad i know i downloaded en to read :lol: :lol: ) and noticed open and program are in curly braces which says use on or the other not both
hth
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi Martin. First off I would test if you can download via the command line using the tool. This would confirm it is working.

I think that message is displayed when Flowcode fails to find the executable - so before anything is sent. Flowcode does not have enough info once the application launches to reliably display such a message.

I thought maybe the (x86) in the path would be an issue (which I cant test here) but I see from your screenshot PPP has this and works OK.

I will test the conditions this message is displayed with tomorrow and let you know what stage in running the exe it is most likely at.

In the meantime you could try running through a .bat file and see what happens. Create a .bat file with the text:

Code: Select all

@echo off
title Downloader
echo Command arguments: %*
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ASIX\UP\up.exe" %*
pause
And replace your application name with the name of this file. That should give you something more to go on. I believe GCC used with the ARM or AVR Flowcodes work in this way, as a point of reference.

Cheers,

Jonny

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Thanks for all replies guys.
I don't have access to programmer until tomorrow morning, so will try all suggestions then.

Regards

Martin
Martin

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi. Just to let you know that the message you are seeing is due to the process failing to launch, or launching then bombing out immediately. This could well be to do with bad command line arguments as Dazz suggested.

Cheers,

Jonny

dazz

Post by dazz »

Hi martin did you ever resolve this one
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi daz,
No I could not get it to work :cry:
Have temporarily given up on the idea :roll:
It's not the fault of Flowcode, but the company who makes the programmer.
Talk about making it complex.
This is the reply I got
Hello,
you can find all the commandline parameters description at page 27 in the pdf manual: http://tools.asix.net/download/programm ... ers_en.pdf.
On the commandline you cannot say that you want to use the HVP mode. The UP uses previous used programming mode, its setting is taken from the up.ini file. But it is better to make a project file where all the settings will be saved and then to define the file on the commandline.
For example this way: "up.exe /p project.ppr /q".
You use too much parameters together, in case that you use only /p parameter, the UP will erase, blankcheck, program and verify the chip if you did not skip it in the settings or project file. The /verify and /erase parameters do only the one operation (verify, erase) and they should be used separately.

Best regards,
(Name withheld)
I have just been creating hex files to load into programmer, then program target device.

Martin
Martin