MIAC Schematic

For MIAC users to discuss projects, applications, and any other issues related to the MIAC unit.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

discohomer

MIAC Schematic

Post by discohomer »

Hi,

I've recently purchased a MIAC and have have put it to good use. The system has worked well and I have found it great to work with having been involved with embedded design for the last 7 years. I'm beginning a new project for which the MIAC would almost be a perfect fit, if only for a few modifications. I have been considering two expansion modules that may do the job but space is a significant limitation.

My question:

I've noted that a detailed schematic is usually published for the E-Blocks modules but I can't seem to find one for the MIAC. Is there any plans to release the schematic/board layout/other docs that may help with any modifications?

Thanks,

Ben

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: MIAC Schematic

Post by Benj »

Hi Ben,

I don't think I can release the schematic to you but I can probably answer any questions you have on the MIAC hardware, can you describe the mods you are intending?

petesmart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by petesmart »

Hi Ben,

I have been using MIAC for a while now..had similar questions to you when I started...

If you have a look at the MIAC documentation on the MM website, it does describe the input and output circuit design...it also has good info on how the 18F4455 is connected to the peripherals... From this info you can actually figure out how it works..

I like you had modified the MIAC to obtain SPI, RS232, I2C connectivity. I have done this, however the outcome was less than professional.

I have purchased an Advanced module and the GPS module. I can recommend the advanced module as it has all of the above I/O's plus basic input output, DAC's and PWM channels. Had it on the bench opoerating on V4.5 for 3weeks now, it went together quite well, and has been very stable.

The GPS module is also a very good module in terms of funtionality and practical implementation.. Having all of the modules on a single DIN rail is a plus.

Understand your space limitation, however If you would like to discuss your project with me, I can give you as much info as I know about MIAC and the advanced modules..

All the best

Pete
sorry about that Chief!

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

petesmart wrote: I have purchased an Advanced module and the GPS module. I can recommend the advanced module as it has all of the above I/O's plus basic input output, DAC's and PWM channels. Had it on the bench opoerating on V4.5 for 3weeks now, it went together quite well, and has been very stable.
I totally agree, the advanced module rocks!

How did you get on with RTC part?
Martin

petesmart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by petesmart »

I was really quite straight forward...

The only thing I didn't realize I had to do was to use a get data command after I had requested the HMS info..Once I did this it was up and running..

I have the GPS and Advanced module running together. Using a 500ms timer on TMR2, I read the RTC, and GPS coordinates plus UTC...and wait there's more! I strobe the LED's on a one second period to indicate all is alive and well... :mrgreen:

I also have the rate gyro and compass connected via I2C...

I am a big fan of the MIAC and advanced modules.... :D

Best

Pete
sorry about that Chief!

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

That's brilliant Pete.
Sounds like you have got it all worked out!
discohomer wrote: I've noted that a detailed schematic is usually published for the E-Blocks modules but I can't seem to find one for the MIAC. Is there any plans to release the schematic/board layout/other docs that may help with any modifications?

Thanks,

Ben
I remember seeing this:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 017#p22059

Not sure if it would help?
Martin

petesmart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by petesmart »

I found this on the MM website again. http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/resourc ... -guide.pdf

whilst it does not have a schematic, its enough to figure it out...This what I used until the Advanced modules arrived.

hope this helps..

Best

Pete

BTW Martin, When I get a little more testing done on the MIAC rig I will post the code so you can play too...
sorry about that Chief!

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Thanks Pete. I was thinking about this pdf but can't remember where I have seen that. This one has much better insight.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

discohomer

Post by discohomer »

Thanks Pete and others for the info.

Pete, you hit the nail of the head, I'm after RS-232 and I2C from the MIAC. I'll continue to read through the guide in detail, any further info based on your experience would be greatly appreciated. From this guide it appears the minimum supply voltage is 10V. Is this not your experience?

Thanks again,

Ben

petesmart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by petesmart »

Hi Ben,

The first thing to note is that to obtain either RS232 or I2C the CAN bus function is disabled. The CAN bus chip is driven by these pins in SPI mode. Look at page 11 on the data sheet. The MCP CAN chip was on a socket so I removed it and used a header to get to the pins for I2C...as I said earlier it was a less than professional outcome :oops:

The second point to note is that by undertaking this hack, as generous and helpful as the MM folk are, any warranty on he MIAC will probably be void.

From my experience, I would strongly recommend the advanced module as it takes all the pain away.....I got it up and running in about 30mins.

On the supply voltage front, I have only run the units on 12volts. Have not investigated any lower than this, suspect that this might limit the motor driver output if it's any lower than 10v, possibly the input ADC resolution/range as well.

I noticed that you in Sydney, If you would like to PM me your phone no. I'm happy to call you and discuss further.

All the best

Pete
sorry about that Chief!