Watch variables not working in ICD

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

stewartbaker

Re: Watch variables not working in ICD

Post by stewartbaker »

Hi Benj
Benj wrote:Hi Stewart,
Your not using the HiTech compiler to compile the code or anything else unusual like this are you?
No
Also have you been asked to go into the compiler options and try hitting the restore defaults button to see if this helps at all.
No
The Flowkit and EB006 ICD mode in general seems very reliable and we have sold many hundreds if not thousands of units with no other customers reporting of this issue so it surprises me that we cannot get it working for you.
I am pleased for you and other customers, however my FlowKit does not work, which is more than just a surprise to me...
If I have followed this topic correctly the ICD stuff like start, stop, step etc all work correctly for you it's just the variable values that do not seem to work. Not sure if this makes any odds but have you tried lowering the simulation speed in the project options. Also pausing the ICD should allow you to add and update variables via the watch window.
Yes, and also Breakpoints do not work.

Stewart

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Stewart,
I am pleased for you and other customers, however my FlowKit does not work, which is more than just a surprise to me...
I'm not really sure what you mean by this, but as the designer of the Flowkit and the Flowcode ICD it troubles me that it is not working for you on your machine. As the communication with the device is ok and you can start stop it would seem that all the hardware and drivers etc are setup correctly.
Also have you been asked to go into the compiler options and try hitting the restore defaults button to see if this helps at all.
No
I would give this a go. It can't hurt anything and a incorrect set of compiler options could explain if / why the coff file interface for the variables is not working correctly.

What Windows operating system are you using? If it's anything from XP to Win7 then you should be ok.

The only other thing i can think of is maybe Flowcode doesn't have correct read / write access for the coff file in the current Flowcode project folder. If you move the Flowcode project file to live in a folder just off the C drive and test to see if this helps at all. eg C:\FC\test.fcf.

Keeping the folder name and Flowcode filename short (less then 8 characters) will also get around any potential path problems which may be occurring. I would suggest the folder name FC and the filename test.

stewartbaker

Post by stewartbaker »

Benj wrote:Hi Stewart,
I'm not really sure what you mean by this, but as the designer of the Flowkit and the Flowcode ICD it troubles me that it is not working for you on your machine. As the communication with the device is ok and you can start stop it would seem that all the hardware and drivers etc are setup correctly.
No
I would give this a go. It can't hurt anything and a incorrect set of compiler options could explain if / why the coff file interface for the variables is not working correctly.

What Windows operating system are you using? If it's anything from XP to Win7 then you should be ok.

The only other thing i can think of is maybe Flowcode doesn't have correct read / write access for the coff file in the current Flowcode project folder. If you move the Flowcode project file to live in a folder just off the C drive and test to see if this helps at all. eg C:\FC\test.fcf.

Keeping the folder name and Flowcode filename short (less then 8 characters) will also get around any potential path problems which may be occurring. I would suggest the folder name FC and the filename test.
Hi Benj

I have tried all of your suggestions above, but still the same result.

As you will see by reading the thread I have tried FlowKit on both XP and W7 systems.

Stewart

stewartbaker

Post by stewartbaker »

Hi Benj,
Do you have any further ideas to resolve the problem with my FlowKit ?

regards
Stewart

stewartbaker

Post by stewartbaker »

I guess - nothing then ...

stewartbaker

Post by stewartbaker »

Benj wrote: but as the designer of the Flowkit and the Flowcode ICD it troubles me that it is not working for you on your machine.
That appears not to be the case.

In my electronics/computer engineering career of over 40 years covering both hardware and software in detail, the customer was always King.

This was especially true for the Customer Support Engineer and European Technical Support roles I fulfilled.

It was considered unacceptable to leave issues unresolved, hoping that the problem/customer would go away if ignored !

How things have changed...

Stewart

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Stewart,
Do you have any further ideas to resolve the problem with my FlowKit ?
No sorry I cannot think of a reason why this is not working for you. We took the unit back and tested it here and it was working fine so at least we know the hardware is not at fault.
In my electronics/computer engineering career of over 40 years covering both hardware and software in detail, the customer was always King.
I don't really see how we can support you any better then we already have. Most companies would not have gone to the lengths that we have, mainly we do it because we care and believe in our products. If your unhappy with the item then why not simply return it for a refund?

Maybe a version 8 EB006 with ICD built in would work better for you but i'm guessing what ever is causing the Flowkit to fail (probably some specific software / setup on your PC) will also cause the EB006 to fail as it works in exactly the same way.
It was considered unacceptable to leave issues unresolved, hoping that the problem/customer would go away if ignored !
If we had even one more report of this problem then I would be worrying but we have sold so many Flowkits and EB006 with ICD with no other reports of the issue so to be honest i'm not worried in the slightest. Maybe you could put together a video showing the hardware and software setup and what happens when you use ICD, maybe this will give us a clue that we can work with to help you.

stewartbaker

Post by stewartbaker »

Behj,
Much a I would wish, I have no intention of individually replying to your comments, as we will finish up like playing a game of ping pong...

It is now clear that you and your company believe that the "watch variable" issue with FlowKit has nothing to do with the firmware, software or hardware you supplied, but rather is something to do with the operation or installation of your product on my computer systems.

I obviously disagree with this, and if you "carefully" review this thread, paying particular attention to the number of systems I have tried FlowKit and it's software on, together with multiple development boards and PICs, you will see just how much time I have spent trying to help resolve this problem. Although, finally after much badgering, my FlowKit was tested, nobody thought that an exchange of modules might possibly provide an solution...

Rather than prolong this experience, will you please supply me details of how I might return your FlowKit product for a full refund.

Stewart

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Hello Stewart,

As the person who personally tested your Flowkit, i can assure you that it worked first time i plugged it in, started simulation, pressed paused, right clicked on watch window, added the variables i wanted to watch, saw them up date as i stepped through the program, i repeated this process a few times and then ensured that the program performed in the exact same way with my personal, known working Flowkit, which it did.

As to the matter of returning the goods, please ensure you have some proof of purchase available and then send an email to sales@matrixmultimedia.com, please mention that i passed you here from the forums and i will make sure that the sales team know to expect your email.

stewartbaker

Post by stewartbaker »

Hello David,
Thank you for your prompt reply, and the information.

I will return my FlowKit early next week.

regards
Stewart

stewartbaker

Post by stewartbaker »

David

I have sent two emails to sales@matrixmultimedia.com - no response...

Stewart Baker

Lead - IBM1130 Restoration Project
The National Museum of Computing
Bletchley Park

http://www.tnmoc.org/

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hmm...

I'm often seeing the same thing myself (and occasionally the mentioned breakpoints issue), using the EB006 for both programming and ICD.

Some of my programs seem perfectly OK with the watch window updating as expected, and others not, though the same hardware and PIC configuration throughout. Perhaps it has something to do with the size of the program or variable types used?

The example image shows initialised variables at the start of the program, running ICD and stepping using F8, and the watch window not updating with the process flow having already gone beyond the calculation icon (exemplified by the green border). For the record I'm using a Win7 (64) PC, driving a PIC18F4680.

If I can characterise or discover anything further, I'll post an update.

All the best,
Brendan

Incidentally... Have a great new year everyone :D
WatchWindowNotUpdating.jpg
WatchWindowNotUpdating.jpg (163.33 KiB) Viewed 8203 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Thanks Brendan,

Let me know if you find anything further. I will have a think on it.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Benj.

I'll probably have time for a play-around today with an offending project and will post back if anything significant turns up.

All the best,

Brendan

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hi Benj.

Though early days, it looks as though the offender was a PIC configuration setting, namely 'Extended CPU Enable' (enabled in PPPv3 by default) - which I take is the extended instruction set bit applicable to the 18F4680 in my case. I can't tell you the time I've spent also trying to figure out where my vars were going wrong !

Hopefully this will at-least help anyone else experiencing similar problems using advanced PIC chipsets :)

All the best,

Brendan

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Brendan,

Thanks for your reply, yes the extended CPU setting is known to cause problems with variables in Flowcode if it's left as enabled. Glad your up and running correctly now.