Significant GUI issue with PPPv3 bundled with FC v5

Moderator: Benj

Brendan

Significant GUI issue with PPPv3 bundled with FC v5

Post by Brendan »

Running an Acer 8735G laptop with a 16:9 screen with Windows 7 (64), features to the right of the PPPv3 panel are obscured by the right border and I'm unable to access all settings and scroll-bar. However, using the same application/version at work on a 4:3 screen and XP Pro (32), the panel appears as intended with all features accessible.

With these differences between laptop and PC I can only guess at possible causes, though should add that if trying to widen the panel on the laptop the drop-down fields merely widen and the inaccessible features remain obscured and impossible to access. I've attached a screen-grab with the panel dragged wider by way of example.

I should also add the problem persists if activating PPPv3 from within Flowcode or separately from the installation directory.

All the best,

Brendan

PLEASE NOTE: Due to uploaded image width, scroll image frame to right to observe obscured features.
PPPv3_16-9.jpg
PPPv3_16-9.jpg (136.65 KiB) Viewed 6914 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: Significant GUI issue with PPPv3 bundled with FC v5

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Brendan,
This issue has been seen before and the cause was PC screen resolution or text size.
I.e DPI setting

As for the size of posted image, paint shipped with windows 7 can reduce the size for you.

Martin
Martin

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hi Martin.

Following your message I tried a variety of screen text sizes and display resolutions but sadly no change at-all. My gut feeling (currently nothing more) is a 32/64 bit compatibility issue, but always happy to try any other suggestions.

I will of-course post back should I discover the answer in the meantime.

Many thanks and seasons best wishes,

Brendan

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Thanks, and seasons best wishes to you too.

Here are some links that had a similar problem:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 27&#p39301

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 0&i#p38792

I am running 64bit windows 7 with 1440 x 900 and all don't have that issue.

One thing to check:
Benj wrote: Looks to be a DPI problem to me, you can see that the standard font is larger then it usually is. You can view your DPI settings here in Windows 7.

Start -> Control Panel -> Personalization -> Display

and then more options available by clicking

Set custom text size (DPI).

Both of mine are set to 100% default.
Mine is also on 100%.

Just something to check, if different to what you have previously checked.

Good luck and hope it's sorted soon for you.

Martin
Martin

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hi Martin.

Thanks for the confirmation, and can confirm that I had the same problem with font setting at 100%.

An interesting development however...

I remembered that I had a bundled disc from a recent eBlock kit which contained an earlier version of PPPv3 (3.11.15.30), so I installed to a separate directory to give it a try. However, trying to run it resulted in a message about a missing library (ntport.dll) so I copied it over from the directory containing the latest problematic version (3.14.18.33).

I was then able to start the older 3.11... version, and no GUI problems at-all with that. Close the old, open the new, and the GUI problem remains. In both cases, no changes to system properties (etc).

My guess is perhaps there was a change in one or more referenced system libraries between the two builds of the executable, or GUI sizing options manifesting a problem on some systems.

Armed with this information I'm hoping the 'PPP' developers can shed some light or suggestions, particularly as I (we) need to access all advanced settings for professional code development.

All the best,
Brendan

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Afternoon. I hope you have had a good Christmas.

It is strange you are getting the same issue with font size at 100%, I was under the impression that the DPI setting was the sole cause for this. Perhaps screen resolution or other interface settings are also an issue.

Steve - who has recently left Matrix - was the sole developer on PPP. Due to maintenance issues and problems with PPP such as this one, it is unlikely that future (major) revisions of Flowcode will ship with PPP, at least in its current form.

Until then is it possible that PPP version 3.11 that you have satisfies your needs? I am afraid I do not know the revision history of PPP so do not know what was changed between 3.11 and 3.14, but if it downloads OK to the chip you are targeting I would stick with the earlier version.

In addition, I find the easiest way to move config settings between projects is to turn off PPP and use the default hex-entry config programmer built in to Flowcode. You can cut-paste settings between these config windows easier than you can with PPP.

Hope this is useful,

Jonny

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hi Jonny.

Many thanks for your reply.

First, a very good Xmas thank you - as yourself I trust :D

Yes, the hex programmer will be fine, in addition to the latest PPP version on our work machines that don't exhibit this problem. For myself, it's only where I create or pick up work-related projects in the small hours until stupid-O'clock, using my own laptop for this. I thought it worthy of a mention but, as you suggest, suitable workarounds exist.

Sincere best wishes for an enjoyable and properous new year, and thank you again for the exemplary support.

All the best,

Brendan

Evan Long

Post by Evan Long »

Same problem with windows 7 32 bit, cant see right hand side of screen and cannot move right hand boarder to see obscured text.

Someone posted this somewhere else on the forum and cured the problem by setting the screen resolution. Mine was set at 125% when set at 100% I can see the right hand side of the screen.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display set to 100% options are 100% , 125% and 150%

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hi Evan.

Definitely something else on mine, further confirmed today while I was trying to resolve a PIC configuration issue using PPPv3.

Not only were many screen resolutions tried in addition to text sizes, but aspect ratios as-well - none of which made one jot of difference.

Most of the advanced fields I need to access regularly are fortunately in the visible area on the left, and the PIC selector drop-down is just accessible on the right, so making the relevant settings and pressing the 'Enter' key to confirm does the trick, and a suitable workaround for now. Anything more then there's always the Hex configuration feature, as Johnny pointed out.

All the best,

Brendan