New Low Pin Count 8 Bit PICs

Please add any feature requests for Flowcode version 6 here

Moderator: Benj

Forum rules
Only feature requests will be considered here. General questions should not be posted in this forum.
Jay Dee

New Low Pin Count 8 Bit PICs

Post by Jay Dee »

Hi Guys, I know the request for adding certain Chips is never ending however .... :)
I was trawling for a small low pin count PIC for a very basic application and noticed the new 16F stuff from Microchip.
Loads of core independent functions to take load off the main processor and those with peripheral pin select make it even easier to get a 8 pin PIC to do quite a lot without doubling up pin functions.. and running internal clock up to 32MHz!, 1.8 to 5.6V, -40 to +125C...blah blah.. All pretty darn cool for a tiny package and a great training ground for the larger pin count devices.
PIC16F18313 is a great example.
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/De ... IC16F18313
thanks. J.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: New Low Pin Count 8 Bit PICs

Post by Benj »

Hi J,

Good to know, thanks for letting us know I hadn't looked into those devices just yet.

We have things in motion at the moment to hopefully make this possible.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Jay Dee wrote: I was trawling for a small low pin count PIC for a very basic application and noticed the new 16F stuff from Microchip.
Loads of core independent functions to take load off the main processor and those with peripheral pin select make it even easier to get a 8 pin PIC to do quite a lot without doubling up pin functions..
These device are not only in low pin counts they are available in high pin count too :) these 16F1xx devices puts Microchip 8 bit micro's in a league of there own they can achieve a lot as the cpu is unloaded a lot
These device can do very complex tasks with ease.

peripherals such as CLC(configurable logic cell) the PSMC( power switch mode controller) can do task which normally a 16 bit micro is needed we use them in Power supplies very successfully ,the PSMC can generate various PWM signal pulse trains
with ease as it independent from cpu and it makes a lot of sense in Lightning and Power supply applications although not only limited to these areas
There are also software tools available for configuring these complex peripherals and then generate Code for its such as the CLC ,PSMC configuration tool.These tools are available from Microchip with no cost :)
Currently I use the Microchip tool to generate me the configuration and then include it in a C function call block in Flowcode and whalla my PSMC is running :D

@Benj
Flowcode alreday supports the 16F178x devices which contains these independent peripherals ,Flowcode also supports the PIC1503/PIC16F1508 but unfortunately not on M loader that would be great if Steve can add the these as he did with the 16F178x range last week
just something to think about.
Attachments
10.10.jpg
10.10.jpg (70.48 KiB) Viewed 4454 times
07.10.jpg
07.10.jpg (184.62 KiB) Viewed 4454 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Thanks for the input. Certainly some very nice features coming through with these new devices. Can't wait to have a play and see what's possible.

We are currently doing an in house study to see where our holes are concerning PIC support so we can properly spec out the job ahead. Hopefully this should allow us to get fully up to date and also provide the mLoader functionality to go alongside.