Switches not responsive after zooming in

Moderator: Benj

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Switches not responsive after zooming in

Post by medelec35 »

While simulation is running:
If zoomed in (Ctrl + Mouse wheel), then switches stops responding (clicking on it with mouse) until zoomed back out.
Applies to both 2D and 3D panels.

Issue does not occur all the time.
Attachments
Switch test.fcfx
(18.33 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Martin

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: Switches not responsive after zooming in

Post by medelec35 »

I Have just noticed that all components are affected.
For example, I wanted to select properties of LCD.
To see the characters clearly, I was zoomed in a fair bit.
on selecting the LCD, the properties did not change from Panel until I zoomed out!
Martin

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Martin,

On the 3d panel get it so the problem exists and then click the perspective icon and it should highlight the issue. As it is a 3d system the perspective mode shows the actual zoom whereas the 2d shows a screwed zoom. Often the camera is actually inside the component mesh when zoomed right in. Hence selections and clicks aren't registering correctly.

We have work to do on the 2d panel but its a big job so may take a while to action.

For now maybe just something to be aware of :( I believe it's been the same since 6 but please correct me if it's worse in 8.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Ben,
To put things in perspective.
Zoom level Switches stopped operating as well as not able to select for properties :
Switches not working.png
(42.41 KiB) Downloaded 2035 times
Zoom level was unable to select LCD for properties:
LCD not selecting.png
(56.93 KiB) Downloaded 2035 times
Benj wrote:Often the camera is actually inside the component mesh when zoomed right in. Hence selections and clicks aren't registering correctly.
Don't believe the issue is that, as you can see not zoomed in to inside components.
Benj wrote:I believe it's been the same since 6 but please correct me if it's worse in 8.
With V6 zoom in to the same point as the top picture, and Switches completely disappear, all other components remain visible.
V7 acts the same as V6.
I will also test on home PC early this evening.
Martin

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Moved switches to illustrate better.
V6 Switches Ok:
Switches 1.png
(58.99 KiB) Downloaded 2027 times
V6 Zoom in just one level:
Switches Vanash.png
(73.4 KiB) Downloaded 2027 times
With V6 & V7.
Instead of vanishing like they do with V6, you just can't select them.
As Far as V7 and V8 are concerned they have vanished since you can't select them, but they are still visible.
Martin

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Martin,

Maybe check the Z coordinates of the components. I've just had a go at replicating the problem here and so far been unable to.

Also have you tried toggling the perspective mode on and off, hopefully this should highlight the problem.
Persp.jpg
Persp.jpg (23.38 KiB) Viewed 4563 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Ben,
Benj wrote:Maybe check the Z coordinates of the components. I've just had a go at replicating the problem here and so far been unable to.

Also have you tried toggling the perspective mode on and off, hopefully this should highlight the problem.
I believe I know what causes the issue and I had reported before here (Sorry for anyone who can't follow the link)
It's caused by adding components to 2D panel, then dragging from 2D panel to 3D panel.
The Z value gets changed to about 129ish.
Martin

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

I Have a suggestion.
As there is no Z if used on the 2D panel, when dragged to 3D panel can the components be automatically assigned with a Z value of 0.00000?
Martin

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hi Martin,

I've been looking into this and I don't think your suggestion will fully resolve the issue because the Z coordinate can be set by other means, but I have another suggestion. First of all, I'll explain the problem.

On the 3D panel, there is a toggle button which looks like a solid cube which changes the perspective. It's tooltip says "Switch between a flat 2D view and a 3D view". The problem you're having is only happening in the "2D" view. If you're in the 3D view, then zooming in with the camera correctly shows that the objects are behind the camera and so you won't be able to see them. In the 2D view, the camera is always very far above the action (this forces a flat perspective), but it seems that the mouse events are still triggered as if the camera is zoomed in (as in the 3D view).

Note that I can't replicate the problem on the 2D panel.

My suggested workaround is to always use the 3D panel with 3D perspective on. Then it will be obvious when objects are at differing heights on the 3D panel.

In fact, to avoid this confusion, I will canvass opinion as to whether or not we force the 3D panel to always draw with a 3D perspective. Out of interest, what do you think to this suggestion of removing the perspective button?

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Steve wrote:Out of interest, what do you think to this suggestion of removing the perspective button?
Yes, that would be a neat solution, as I did not even realise I put it in 2D mode.
Most of been by accident.
If 2D is required then we use the 2D panel.
Martin